The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What to look for in a Missouri Fox Trotter? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-look-missouri-fox-trotter-88190/)

SidMit 06-03-2011 11:34 AM

What to look for in a Missouri Fox Trotter?

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pictures of a Trotter I may go look at. What do you think? I have owned a Tenn. Walker in the past, but never a Trotter. This may sound stupid, but do they canter? I am looking for a great trail horse and, as I have been in several car accidents, gaited would be wonderful. So can all you Trotter fans tell me more about them?

Thanks!

SidMit 06-03-2011 09:11 PM

Crickets....I hear crickets... ;)

corinowalk 06-03-2011 09:30 PM

I've only owned 1 MFT and that was ages ago...however...that geldings shoulder and pasterns suggest he is going to be far from smooth. You want the angle of the shoulder to be laid back. Upright pasterns can cause a roughness of gait.

This guy is really lacking pictures but I like him. He is small though. MFT's seem to be very popular in Oregon.
white socks,white blaze and flaxen mane - Daddys Dan Atlanta

SidMit 06-03-2011 09:32 PM

Thank you!

trailhorserider 06-04-2011 12:52 AM

Yes, they can canter. But they can also do some weird mixed gaits when you ask for a canter.

For instance, sometimes my Foxtrotter mare has the loveliest canter, and other times she wants to pace. Sometimes she does some of both at the same time! But she is my first gaited horse, so I don't know how to get the best gaits out of her. And she was a broodmare most of her life, so I'm not sure how much cantering she's done under saddle either. It could be that no one ever asked her to do much of that until I came along.

But yes, it is definitely possible for them to canter like any other horse. I have known of several others that will canter on the trail too. :-)

PS. A hard pace is worse than a hard trot. It is very jarring and difficult to ride (at least in my experience). So try to get a horse that doesn't pace. Foxtrotters aren't really supposed to pace, but in my (limited) experience, it seems like many gaited horses do whatever they want, not always what they breed standards call for. :lol: