The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Finding the perfect western saddle... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/finding-perfect-western-saddle-88279/)

Salila 06-04-2011 09:07 PM

Finding the perfect western saddle...

It's tough! See, I'm considering applying for the University of Findlay later this fall, for next fall. If I do, and if I am accepted, I'll need an all leather saddle, no synthetic.

The saddle I currently have, I bought cheaply and stupidly, as it doesn't have a brand name on it anywhere, and doesn't fit my horse. It's too narrow on his withers and the back jockey sits a bit off his back, which I know isn't good. Because of this, I ride minimally, because I don't want to do damage.

I'm not quite in the market yet, since I have to focus on buying a car first, but once that's out of the way, it's saddle time.

The thing is, there aren't any real tack shops around here that have any variety of saddles. So my question to you all is where's your favorite online saddle places? I'm hoping I can find a Western Dover Saddlery-esque type place, where there is lots of variety. Basically, I'm looking for an all leather saddle (might as well kill two birds with one stone, eh?) in either a medium, dark, or black oil, 15 or 16" seat, western pleasure/trail saddle, though I'm open to other types, and I need a place with a decent demo policy. I would like to try the saddle (and keep it clean) and figure out if it fits, and be able to send it back for a refund or an exchange until I find the right one.

kitten_Val 06-05-2011 12:23 AM

If you gonna buy from on-line store look for one, which allows trial/returns.

BTW, valley vet & adams horse supplies are decent places to shop.

smrobs 06-05-2011 01:32 AM

Depending on whether or not your horse needs a FQHB saddle with a 7" gullet (as that's all they sell), I would like to mention Corriente Saddle Co. They will sell either custom or in-stock saddles and I am very happy with mine. They are exceptionally affordable too.

If they don't have anything that suits you, I got my roping saddle from either www.horse.com or www.chicksaddlery.com a few years ago and was happy with their prices. With those sites though, you have to be picky about separating the crap saddles from the quality ones.