The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Am I treating my ponies laminitis right? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/am-i-treating-my-ponies-laminitis-88308/)

DeeSmith 06-05-2011 09:12 AM

Am I treating my ponies laminitis right?

My 3 year old welsh mountain pony has laminitis because the fields we keep him on are getting there spring grass, i've never had a pony/horse with laminitis before so i'm not a 100% sure what to do... i tried to stick to common sense...

I noticed him lame when i was lunging him in the school (sand and rubber so can never be sure) so i took him to a field and lunged him on a hard surface.. and he was a little less lame but still fairly lame on his front near, (front hoof on the side you get on...) so i check his feet, the one he was lame on had a lot of heat to it and when i gently pushed him heel he snapped his leg away from me (his usually fine with his feet) i also checked over his other feet and they seems a bit warm but nothing unusual i check all his leg muscles and shoulder muscles and they don't seem to be the problem... i also hoof picked him before lunging and before i checked him feet...

i wasn't sure what was wrong at first but another livery at my yard currently has a horse with laminitis, and said that it could be...

so i keep him in the night (with a soaked haynet, as it's all i had to hand because it was meant for me extremely overweight fjord - and surprisingly she doesn't seem to be noticing the spring grass!) and got him out in the morning walked him around and trotted him up on a hard surface and was still lame but a little better, i then put him out in the field and had the livery owner section a bit off for me to put him in.

that was Friday (it's now Sunday) I've been bringing him in of a night with soaked haynet and putting him out to graze of a reduced sized paddock....

am i meant to be feeding him some kind of supplement? like chaff with with a mineral and vitamin supplement...?

also i've been told that chaff with high calium is good for ponies with laminitis is this true?

i'm fairly confused by it all i've been trying to do research but ever website seems to say different things :S!!

oh and just to add... his not overweight, his been on just grass for the last 2 months before that he was on stud mix with garlic (he was gelded 3 months ago) -- and my overweight pony is a loan pony and she came to me like that! i'm not keen on fat horses..

any help would be nice :') i'm so confused and just want to do the best for my little man...

Magaidh 06-05-2011 09:50 AM

Hi Dee. There are some good articles about feeding grass at Katy Watts | Safergrass.org. Another interesting article is: Equine Chronicle Flax-An Aid in Preventing Founder

If your pony is having a laminitic episode I would strongly suggest taking him off grass completely, at least for the time being. Soaking your hay is a good idea, but keep him outside and moving (in a dirt paddock) if at all possible.

If he's still off in the next little while I would call the vet to take a look, especially if you see any physical changes in your pony's hoof.

DeeSmith 06-05-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magaidh (Post 1056648)
Hi Dee. There are some good articles about feeding grass at Katy Watts | Safergrass.org. Another interesting article is: Equine Chronicle Flax-An Aid in Preventing Founder

If your pony is having a laminitic episode I would strongly suggest taking him off grass completely, at least for the time being. Soaking your hay is a good idea, but keep him outside and moving (in a dirt paddock) if at all possible.

If he's still off in the next little while I would call the vet to take a look, especially if you see any physical changes in your pony's hoof.

Hi thank you for the articles i will have a look through now...

and as grass shay's only forage apart from the hay he gets when he goes in.. i don't think it would be a good idea to take him completely off grass as it would be like starving him... also i don't actually have a enclosure that doesn't have grass in it! apart from the schooling but this is used by all the other liverys as well... so wouldn't be fair on them to put him in there...

i haven't noticed any physical changes, though that foot as a mild deformed (mildly boxed) which his since birth... could this be why his getting it in this foot? as thats on the only that has a conformation problem... the farrier is aware of his foot and has said to me that it doesn't cause him any problems...

bntnail 06-05-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeSmith (Post 1056632)

when i gently pushed him heel he snapped his leg away from me (his usually fine with his feet) i also checked over his other feet and they seems a bit warm but nothing unusual

May simply be an abcess. Call your farrier or search abcess' for treatment.

If laminitis, then you need vat and farrier care right away. You can pad feet w/ high density foam inulation board as first aid untill vet/farrier can see the horse.

natisha 06-06-2011 08:57 AM

If he has laminitis giving him grass defeats the purpose of the soaked hay.