The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Riding in halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riding-halter-8839/)

phantom 05-12-2008 12:15 AM

Riding in halter?

The horse I ride has a really hard mouth. I ride him in a kimberwicke and he still ignores my cues when he feels like it. The other problem is that normally I ride with minimal contact but he has a lot of energy and I sometimes have to keep a firm hand on him while riding, but with such a strong bit it makes him really irritated if I start pulling too much, and the problem escalates from there. I've always wanted to see what he'd do if I tried riding him without a bit. The only problem is he only direct-reins, and idk how that would work in a halter. Would it work to attack reins to each side of the halter, or would it work better to attach reins/the lead to the bottom ring but still direct-rein (by pulling out to the side?), or will I have to teach him to neckrein?

Solon 05-12-2008 12:37 AM

When I started riding my draft I didn't have a big enough bridle or saddle so I just jumped on bareback with the halter. But if you know the horse has some issues with control, I'd be hesitant to jump on with the halter because it will not get the same control as say a bitless bridle would.

I use Dr. Cook's Bitless bridle and it works great. My boy neck reins fine in a halter but he's responding to leg pressure.

http://www.bitlessbridle.com/

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 01:10 AM

The bitless bridle would be a good alternative. ;) I'd also be hesitant if he has trouble, just jumping with a halter.

Bitless 05-12-2008 03:03 AM

Yea maby not a halter for him if he has a few issues, instead a bitless bridle.

There are a few out there....the main groups are side pulls, hackamores and crossovers.... altho there are a few ropehalter/bridle types around too.

Side pulls are for just that....they are designed to have maximum leverage when pulling to either side, but arnt designed to effectivly to stop/ via pulling back. So if your horse is hard to stop then i wouldnt bother with one...but other wise worth a try ( i havnt tried one but want to).

Hackamore is kinda the opposite. More designed to put pressure on the poll and nose. Makeing it more suited for a horse hard to stop. Be carefull choosing a hackamore avoid mechanical ones. And remember the more metal it has the more severe.
I use a english hackamore on one of my horses, i took the chin chain off and have a leather strap instead so its far less severe, i love theses types of hackamores :D

And crossover. Works like a whole head hug. Designed to put even pressure over the horses head, instead of fixed pressure to one or two areas. I also have one of theses and love it to bits. :P

phantom 05-12-2008 07:36 PM

I'd love to get a bitless bridle but I don't have a job so no money to buy one. I think I gave the wrong impression of him in my post...he can be stubborn, overly energetic, etc. but he's not the type of horse who would try to actually do something really bad when I'm on him. If I try riding him in a halter what would probably happen is he'd trot too fast and I couldn't slow him down so I'd fall off (that is assuming I'm riding bareback like usual...too lazy to put the saddle on). :roll: So *theoretically* if one day I decided to be crazy and ride him in a halter, where would I *theoretically* attach the reins?

Solon 05-12-2008 09:27 PM

I attach mine to the sides of the halter. But I still caution you that some horses find it 'weird' initially and you don't want them to panic!

phantom 05-12-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon
I attach mine to the sides of the halter. But I still caution you that some horses find it 'weird' initially and you don't want them to panic!

*Processing Error* Due to my lack of a fully developed frontal lobe, that caution cannot possibly occur to me. :lol:

Solon 05-12-2008 11:38 PM

Well as long as I suggest it then I don't feel bad as to whether you take the advice or not! :lol: :lol:

phantom 05-13-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon
Well as long as I suggest it then I don't feel bad as to whether you take the advice or not! :lol: :lol:

Good :lol: Don't worry I'll take it easy the first time I try it and make sure he seems ok with it.

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 12:28 AM

Yeah, I would put the reins on the side of the halter. ;)