The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Why is my pony doing this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/why-my-pony-doing-88478/)

navajo 06-07-2011 03:11 AM

Why is my pony doing this?

I have recently aquired a 10hh pony, apparently she has been ridden by children, I'm assuming bareback if that is true. The reason I doubt it is when my kids get on her she throws them off, well sometimes she will let them stay on sometimes she wont. The same with leading her sometimes she'll move other times she wont. When I put pressure on her back she steps backwards or in circles clearly not liking it so I'm unsure if its a sore back or not. Do you think she's being stuborn or is it more likely a back problem?

smrobs 06-07-2011 03:15 AM

Welcome to the forum :D.

It couldn't possibly hurt to have her checked for back pain by a vet or a chiropractor. If they are able to either fix it or rule pain out as the problem, then you can focus on training.

mbender 06-07-2011 06:35 AM

I agree with robs. Have you put a saddle on? Does she give the same reaction to a saddle? She may be stubborn as most ponies can be but it won't hurt to have a vet check her for soreness. When you acquired her, was it from the owner? Because if it was I would have made sure to have someone demonstrate her abilities before purchase. Good luck. Hopefully your children are not afraid to get back on.
Posted via Mobile Device

navajo 06-08-2011 12:27 AM

I actually think she's

being stuborn too as sometimes shes fine and sometimes she's not it's the same with leading sometimes not a problem others she digs her heals in. I haven't tried her with a saddle but am getting one next week so we'll see then. I got her free so wan't too concerned with what she could do but a bit of honesty with whether she had actually been ridden or not would of been good. Maybe I should just assume that she hasn't and start from scratch, anyone have any advice on where to start?

bubba13 06-08-2011 02:22 AM

I would go for a trainer evaluation to see where you're at....before someone gets hurt.

navajo 06-08-2011 02:49 AM

unfortunately

I can't afford a trainer

mbender 06-08-2011 06:22 AM

Navajo, how well do you know horses/ponies? Do you have any training experience? It would Never hurt to start over. If you did that, you will see what she knows and what she needs work on. I guess before I suggest anything just let me know what your level of experience is.
Posted via Mobile Device

SocietyJoe 06-08-2011 06:39 AM

If you can't afford a trainer then that's fine, but just be extra careful with your kids when they are riding as you wouldn't want them to get hurt.

I'm not sure of your experience level, but there is always time to learn. Have you called the chiropracter to rule out any back pain issues? Do this as soon as possible. As you said when you applyed pressure to the back she moved in circles so I assuming it may be a pinched nerve, or a back issue; i think you would be please to know this is an easy fix.

If you want your children to gain experience in horses, then let them groom the pony, take it for leading walks, clean out it's feet. Insted of letting them loose confidence on a pony that throws them off(:

Good Luck!

maura 06-08-2011 07:07 AM

First of all, a well broken 10 hand pony is an extremely rare thing.

Since they're too small to be ridden by adults or even most teenagers, it's hard to put any real training on them. Best thing to do with a pony that size is break them to drive, and get them a little cart to pull. That way, the pony gets plenty of exercise and handling and you still get to enjoy the pony.

I curious as to how large the children riding the pony are? A child over 75 pounds may well be too big for the pony and the behavior could be caused by physical discomfort.

In your situation, I would be doing a lot of ground work, lunging and ground driving with the pony to make sure he's respectful and responsive and I'd be very careful about putting kids on his back. I'd also try to find a petite teenager who really knows how to ride to get on him and see exactly what he knows and doesn't know.

mbender 06-08-2011 07:25 AM

I agree with maura. Driving a pony gets them excersise and better with turns. You may actually enjoy driving. When I had my pony she was broke to drive and ride. I bought a used cart and fixed it up as nice as I could and did a lot of driving. She was so fun to drive. Now her being broke to ride... not for a child to hop on. She had a lot of go. Too much for my son. I ended up riding her. Eventually I had to sell her because she was too much for my son and too small for me to keep as a riding horse.
Posted via Mobile Device