The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Is it too late? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/too-late-8848/)

xtareq 05-12-2008 06:21 AM

Is it too late?

I知 over 30 years old, recently I became attached to jumping even though most of the horse I rides are for endurance riding.

I知 thinking to start compete in jumping events, by starting from scratch, taking jumping lesson, buying the right horseetc.

Just yesterday I was talking to show jumping champion who recently decided to quit jumping because her trained 40.

When I told him my plan he told me it is too late for me to even think about that :(

What do you think?
Is it too late to start in jumping and to become a champion one day?

Miss Katie 05-12-2008 07:02 AM

Maybe too late to become a champion unless you are rich and can buy a top horse and train really hard :wink:

But its not to late to start out.

upnover 05-12-2008 09:50 AM

Absolutely not! If you have the desire, time, and energy (well and finances too) to put into it, anything is possible! Plus, the term "champion" is really vague. It is completely feasable to learn to jump, go to shows, and win. I have several adult students and one of them just got a 1st and a 3rd at her first show a couple of weeks ago! Keep in mind that for several years you're going to be lessoning with and competing against children (some very small). But I find that my adult students are generally more coordinated and capable of understanding the "how-to's" of riding then children. However, they tend to be a little more fearful and sometimes a little stiffer as well. :wink: Since you've already been riding I don't know if that'll be an issue. I say GO FOR IT!

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 10:27 AM

No way, it's never too late. ;)

JustDressageIt 05-12-2008 11:50 AM

That trainer didn't know what they were talking about. Ian Miller (famous Canadian showjumper) is in his 60's now (I think?), and still competing internationally (and winning!)
No, if you have a passion, follow it - I think it's wonderful! And it's NEVER too late to become a champion ;)
I wish you the best of luck, and do hope you'll keep us informed on how it's going!

xtareq 05-13-2008 06:51 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and support :)

Upnover, competing with kids is not a bad idea I will compete with my son he has the same desire (maybe more) but he is only 6 years old. I think he will enjoy competing with me more than I will.

JustDressageIt, sure I値l keep you all inform of where I知 going, I値l start jumping lessons soon, and I値l try to post photo/video of my first jump.

we don稚 have jumping horses where I live; most of the people around here have passion for endurance ride only this is maybe my first big step is to find the right horse

Wish me luck :D

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 10:12 AM

Aw, good luck! :D

JustDressageIt 05-13-2008 12:09 PM

Best of luck! I'm really looking forward to that photo/video!! I'm sure you'll do very well!

Lc Performance Horses 05-15-2008 07:14 PM

NOT AT ALL!!!! Hey dont let anyone tell you its too late. Im 35 and just going through veterinary collage. Im an instructor and i have trained people in their 40's and 50's who wanted to learn to jump and they have done very very well for themselves.
So absolutely not!!

jody111 05-16-2008 04:51 AM

JUST DO IT

I think that you are definitely not too old :D