The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallest Arena You Can Comfortably Jump In?

33K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  upnover 
#1 ·
If I were to build an arena, what size do I need to comfortably jump? I want it as small as I can to save on space and money, but I don't want it so small that I feel too cramped to do anything in it.

Let me know your opinions!

#2 ·
Indoor or outdoor? (Not that it totally matters.)

I have boarded at two different facilities where the indoor at one was 60'x90' and the other was 60'x100'.

Both are a little cozy for jumping but both worked.

#7 ·
How big are you jumping? Our smallest ring is 90 x 160 and we can easily set up 18 in courses in there with a 4 stride line down the outside. Gymnastics too. Anything over 2"3 possibly 2"6 gets more complicated, although I have done 3"6 singles. The narrowness more then anything is what makes it difficult so if I had to rebuild the ring I'd make it wider.

Just remember, a horse's "average" canter stride is 12 feet long. When you're setting up a line you allow 6 feet for take off in front of the jump and 6 feet after for landing. You want to make sure there is enough room for at least a few strides before and after the line begins.

#8 ·
How big are you jumping? Our smallest ring is 90 x 160 and we can easily set up 18 in courses in there with a 4 stride line down the outside. Gymnastics too. Anything over 2"3 possibly 2"6 gets more complicated, although I have done 3"6 singles. The narrowness more then anything is what makes it difficult so if I had to rebuild the ring I'd make it wider.
I'd want to plan on 3 feet, but room for growth wouldn't be bad. Probably nothing over 4ft though.

Just remember, a horse's "average" canter stride is 12 feet long. When you're setting up a line you allow 6 feet for take off in front of the jump and 6 feet after for landing. You want to make sure there is enough room for at least a few strides before and after the line begins.
That's a good way to look at it! Takes some of the guess work out of it.

#9 ·
I agree with what upnover said.

The OP asked for smallest, so I was giving what I thought was the absolute smallest.

If you want input on what is the best size for practicing courses, etc that is different than the smallest option.

#10 ·
I have a very small woodchip which i can jump a single fence in it is slightly bigger then a 20metre circle(sorry dont know the exact sizing) it was originally built for me free jumping my youngsters.
However i have a big 20 jump course set out in the field which is to big as i forget sizing.
I would go with a size you feel happy enough with say like warmup arena size BUT build it so when you get more finances it can be enlarged further. This is what a friend of mine is doing granted hers is outdoor

#11 ·
I guess I've been giving out mixed messages. Let me ask it this way:

What is the smallest size arena I can jump a 3ft course in? I'm not looking for anything elaborate. It's for my own training purposes. I do want to be able to practice what will come up in shows though, maybe just in a smaller scale. Does that make sense?

Maggie- Thanks for the advice on building it so it's not hard to expand later when finances aren't so tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.