The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse works well for me but nobody else. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-works-well-me-but-nobody-88500/)

LynnF 06-07-2011 12:33 PM

Horse works well for me but nobody else.

I have been working with my 3 year old for a few months now and he has about 30 days under saddle along with a whole lot more groundwork. My problem is he only seems to work well for me, he is a superstar when I am working with him and learns really fast, but if anybody else trys to work with him he doesn't listen as well. I have tried to have as many people (people who I know I can trust) come out and work with him but if I am around he is always focused on me and won't listen to anyone else. I have had my dad as well as a few of my trusted friends come out and work with him when I am not there and he seems to do alright but if I am around he will not listen to anybody else. I am not sure how to deal with this problem other than to have other people come out as often as possible to work with him. Any advice in this area?

tinyliny 06-07-2011 03:48 PM

are you the one who feeds him?

LynnF 06-07-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1059045)
are you the one who feeds him?

No he is on free choice hay and on pasture.

churumbeque 06-07-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnF (Post 1058842)
I have been working with my 3 year old for a few months now and he has about 30 days under saddle along with a whole lot more groundwork. My problem is he only seems to work well for me, he is a superstar when I am working with him and learns really fast, but if anybody else trys to work with him he doesn't listen as well. I have tried to have as many people (people who I know I can trust) come out and work with him but if I am around he is always focused on me and won't listen to anyone else. I have had my dad as well as a few of my trusted friends come out and work with him when I am not there and he seems to do alright but if I am around he will not listen to anybody else. I am not sure how to deal with this problem other than to have other people come out as often as possible to work with him. Any advice in this area?

If this is a horse you are keeping this is a good thing in my opinion. If not then let the others work him and you not be around at that time

Northern 06-07-2011 08:48 PM

My guess is that you are giving the horse a better "feel" than the others have. The horse looks to the best leader, which you are (so far). It's not a problem, therefore: it's the tidy world of horses. It might be fun for you, even, to learn from your horse what degrees of savvy your associates have!

If he's to be your permanent partner, it's good to develop the partnership & not have others work with him. Someone with less savvy can undo the good work you've put on him!

kitten_Val 06-07-2011 09:37 PM

One of my mares like that and personally I don't find it to be a good thing: too many troubles in long run. If he's friendly with other people (mine is not BTW) I'd suggest you to let other folks (who know how to ride of course) to work with him as well.

LynnF 06-07-2011 11:13 PM

The reason it concerns me is because I will be selling him within the next year or so because he was more of a project than a long term partner and I really want him to work well for other people so that when I do sell him he shows to his best ability. I have been trying to get other people out and it just seems he has a mental block when it comes to anyone but me. The people I have had working with him are all excellent horsemen/women so I have no fear of them undoing what I have done but I just cannot figure it out.

Northern 06-08-2011 02:59 AM

It is possible to train a horse so expertly that one can put a novice rider on him & he'll be so habituated to complying that he'll make the novice look good; some non-riding royalty in Europe rode these horses in public parades & such.

However, the horse will test for leadership eventually & to the individual's greater or lesser degree, because it's hardwired to do so. So, in the end, the permanent rider must gain the skill to be the good leader in the partnership.

Thus, all that you can do is to train him as best that you can, & if he doesn't get the habit of compliance enough to give the other riders even a walk down Main St., so to speak, c'est la vie. The person who buys him will have to become his leader anyway.