The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What can i do with his mane?? apologies for the photo in advance.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-can-i-do-his-mane-88514/)

shelleyb 06-07-2011 04:25 PM

What can i do with his mane?? apologies for the photo in advance..

1 Attachment(s)
I APOLOGISE FOR THE PHOTO - was taken shortly after his gelding - but is the best mane-shot i could find!

Romeo's mane is fairly thick and really wispy and dry! even after i brush it through it just looks a bit frizzy.... and tips of how i could get it soft and healthy... should i pull it?? He has a beautiful shine to his coat now but don't know how to make his mane shiny and soft...

Hes 12 months xx

gigem88 06-07-2011 04:50 PM

That's not a happy face, poor guy! A pulled mane does look nice and tidy. I have Arabians, so I don't worry about it. Sorry, not much help!

Lakotababii 06-07-2011 09:47 PM

I have never pulled a mane before, but I have thinned them out. Anyways usually what I do for my gelding, since he's just a trail horse, is use a conditioner serum. I use Vetrolin, you can get it at Farm and Barn or a store similar. There is also Cowboy Magic, which gives similar results. I know horse.com has both products. Its inexpensive and easy to use. Put it on your hand, rub your hands together, then run your fingers through his mane. Comb through and you have a nice manageable mane that is not frizzy and is easy to comb and work with. I love the stuff as it makes them shiny and it smells good too :)

shelleyb 06-08-2011 06:12 AM

thanks... i will try a serum! :)

candandy49 06-08-2011 09:57 AM

Vetrolin has a very good line of products for horse care. There is one product that is a spray on non-rinse conditioner for manes and tails. Dang it all though I can't think of the name of it at this moment. I know it has Silicone as a main ingredient and intended for manes and tails only. I did however find it to be extremely useful also for helping to free up the lug nuts on a blown tire wheel on my pick-up a few years back. :D

Something I learned from a friend who had a QH mare that she competed in open jumping and Dressage with was using the only the bottom blade of a set of clipper blades to trim and thin her horse's mane. Doing about a one inch section at a time with the cutting edge of the blade toward the horse's neck tease up to the crest and then with a very quick downward tug cut the mane hairs to the desired length. I tried it with my mare and it did present a tidy, pulled mane look.

dezzistar 06-08-2011 05:53 PM

I would use a product like Ventrolin, like candandy said. It makes their manes and tails look much nicer! My horse tends to get a fluffy mane if it isn't conditioned.

Beauseant 06-08-2011 11:20 PM

Try the ShowSheen finishing mist in the spray can.....it is absolutely fabulous. I also like the vetrolin shine spray.

I do NOT like the cowboy magic line, however...instead of leaving our horses' coats and manes/tails soft and silky, it kinda left them feeling sticky and hard to brush. Just my personal experience with these products. Others may differ.

EventingDeva 06-16-2011 04:45 PM

Is your horse bleeding?

Mickey4793 06-18-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventingDeva (Post 1067314)
Is your horse bleeding?

She did say it was taken shortly after he was gelded :)

EventingDeva 06-18-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey4793 (Post 1068784)
She did say it was taken shortly after he was gelded :)

Ohhhh I totally didnt notice that, even though it was like the first sentence!