The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Never fly spray a wet horse!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/never-fly-spray-wet-horse-88515/)

Tamibunny 06-07-2011 03:29 PM

Never fly spray a wet horse!!!

Soooo, I went and worked a horse show with my trainer this past weekend. One of the clients finished with her classes and I took her horse to go cool out. After giving him a bath I was letting him graze. The bugs and gnats were terrible! So I decided to go up to the barn and find some fly spray. I started spraying him down. Then I hear client snap at me " Is that FLY SPRAY?!" I said, "yup, the bugs are getting to him". Client says" YOU dont EVER fly spray a wet horse!! It can BLISTER them!!!"

uummmm riiiiight. I imagine I had some sort of dumb founded look on my face because in all my life around horses, I have never heard this! I can see them maaaybe breaking out if they were allergic to something in the spray........ Unless there has been some major break through that i've managed to miss.

So my thought process was first..um you idiot! but I did the professional thing and said...."OH? well I was letting Your horse graze while he drys, and the bugs were really bothering him and he doesn;t have a fly sheet" Then client then says " oh' well' ok". And I finished spraying him.
LMAO! so now its 'ok' for me to 'blister' her wet horse.

hmm that was a bit longer than I intended. anyways the whole thing irritated me and made me laugh.

Please tell me has ANYONE ever heard of something like this this!?

Alwaysbehind 06-07-2011 03:31 PM

I have put fly spray on many a wet horse and I have never had a blister problem.

Shrug.

It is amusing that spraying the fly spray was OK after you explained it.

gigem88 06-07-2011 03:48 PM

Just gotta laugh at that!

Sophie19 06-07-2011 03:54 PM

Crazy talk

coffeegod 06-07-2011 04:03 PM

There are those who thrive on tempests in teapots.

Keep on spraying!

AlexS 06-07-2011 04:44 PM

Silly! Love how she criticized you for taking care of her horse! Pfft, that lead rope would have been handed right back to her, if I were you.

gypsygirl 06-07-2011 04:50 PM

wow thats very odd !! why would it be ok to put on them dry but not wet ?!

amymarie57 06-07-2011 04:57 PM

People are nuts!! Water is neutral anyways it's not like it'll cause some weird chemical reaction if that's what she was thinking?

IslandWave 06-07-2011 08:18 PM

Lol, how absurd!

Creampuff 06-07-2011 08:47 PM

I've heard of the spray running off with any excess water, but certainly not blistering! I still spray my horses after I "squee-jee" them off to get the majority of the water off before I spray them.