The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The Skipping Trot? (Gaited owners too!) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/skipping-trot-gaited-owners-too-88547/)

getupasb 06-07-2011 10:00 PM

The Skipping Trot? (Gaited owners too!)

I just got a new mare. I'm trying her out for a few months before I buy her to make sure everything works out because she has a few training issues.

There is one thing I am curious about. It is part of the reason we are trying her out because if we can't figure out what it is or how to fix it, then we won't keep her. I have seen other horses do it but I'm not really sure what it is.

The new mare "skips" at the trot. Mostly on the lunge, not really much under saddle, but if she does she works out of it very quickly. We are not sure if it has to do with her feet or her being over-weight... or if it's some kind of previous injury or medical issue. She is pretty overweight, as well as her feet are not angled the greatest and one of her feet is a tiny bit club-footed. Not horrible, barely noticeable, but it's there. The trainer, who is a very honest trainer and friend, said she's always done it but that with different shoeing than she has now, she doesn't do it. She's not lame or anything, but it seems to be when she has pent up energy she starts getting a skip in her step. That is my guess, as I said, she works out of it too and doesn't really do it under saddle. I've only seen her do it on the lunge line.

She is also naturally gaited.

I've seen other horses do it. We had another naturally gaited, out of shape ASB at our barn in the past and he also did it when he was excited. With different shoeing, he quit doing it. They never knew why he did it, though.

Does anyone have experience with this? I tried google and can't find anything on it.

I'm hoping people know what I'm talking about but I may be able to get a video if I go out to the barn tomorrow. :-)

momo3boys 06-08-2011 10:35 AM

A video would definitely help. If she doesn't do it under saddle, it may be her just getting her energy out while lunging.

Jacksmama 06-08-2011 11:04 AM

So, she is gaited but she still trots?

getupasb 06-08-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksmama (Post 1059726)
So, she is gaited but she still trots?

Yes. She's naturally gaited. In ASBs that means she walks, trots, canters, and then racks/slow-gaits (or sometimes it's more of a pace, if it's not been refined).

I tried to get a video but she didn't do it today. People on HGS said it's "It is an energy thing, you just have to harness it." :shock: