The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Hunters and Jumpers - which saddle pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/hunters-jumpers-saddle-pad-88556/)

alexischristina 06-08-2011 12:26 AM

Hunters and Jumpers - which saddle pad?

Who thought buying a saddle pad would be this complicated, eh?

So this level I'm going to be competing in both hunters on the flat and over fences, and jumpers... and I don't know what saddle pad to buy.

Should I get something like this
Shedrow Competition Pad [RIE0001]

something like this
Fleeceworks Show Hunter Pad [RIE4115]
or
Fleeceworks Classic Full Pad - Close Contact [RIE4110]

or something like this
Grand Prix Gel Pad Sheepskin Lined Cc [RIE3761]

... whatever I buy will likely be used or on sale, those prices make me go 'ick' but I don't care about that right now, I just want opinions on what is most 'popular' in the show ring.

JustDressageIt 06-08-2011 12:35 AM

Hunters either shaped white pad or white/neutral half pad. No square pads at all, and unless you are in the QH HUS circuit, you will look out of place with a number holder pad.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 06-08-2011 01:09 AM

Weird, I've seen a couple of the number holder pads at the Bronze level down here, but there weren't very many of them so I guess that's that. =P Thank you.

ErikaLynn 06-08-2011 09:33 AM

For Hunters I would use a fitted fleece pad. I also saw people use just a half pad also. For the jumpers you can use a fitted pad or a square pad with a half pad on top.

I found this website that has saddle pads for real cheap. I haven't bought any from there yet, but I plan on getting a half pad from there.
Here's the link to the website,

welcome to morpheus designs

There in England so the currency isn't in American dollars. But with it converted to dollars and including shipping, a half pad only comes out to be about 70 dollars, which is a steal compared to $200.

Alwaysbehind 06-08-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1059463)
Hunters either shaped white pad or white/neutral half pad. No square pads at all, and unless you are in the QH HUS circuit, you will look out of place with a number holder pad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some of the other breed shows use the funky number pads too (I know it is in the appy rule book).

I agree on the fitted pad thing for hunters at a hunter show.

upnover 06-08-2011 09:47 AM

Yup, nothing but a fitted fleece pad for the hunters. Half pads are completely acceptable as well. Either of those last 3 should be just fine. If you get the half pad you can school and show in the jumpers with a nice square pad underneath and just take it out when you do the hunters. But really, that's the same for the fitted pad too... so whatever you choose should be fine. :-)

upnover 06-08-2011 09:50 AM

another thought.... i've notice less and less people using the fancy sheepskin fitted pads these days. believe it or not but more people are using just regular fleece, the kind you can get for like $30?

That's what i use when I show in the hunters. When i show in the jumpers I use a sheepskin half pad with a square pad.

So if you go with a cheaper shaped pad you could technically get both.... just a thought.