The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Thoughts on putting my horse on a Ration Balancer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/thoughts-putting-my-horse-ration-balancer-88580/)

spookychick13 06-08-2011 10:38 AM

Thoughts on putting my horse on a Ration Balancer

I am moving my horse to a boarding stable soon.
The grain choices are some sweet feed looking mix and Purina Strategy.
My horse is an easy keeper, he came to me fat and I have been working hard to get him to lose weight.
He is currently on Buckeye's Safe N Easy, and I am considering putting him on a Ration Balancer, but I am not really sure where to start.

The BO said the hay flakes are alfalfa. I know they are on a round bale all day, and she is going to start them on pasture soon.

Should I switch him to a Ration Balancer or should I just keep him on the Safe 'N Easy and give him just a little bit each day?

Thanks in advance.

Left Hand Percherons 06-08-2011 01:15 PM

Safe n Easy and Strategy are nutritionally pretty comperable. Once your horse gets out on pasture plus alfalfa, you're going to meet just about all of his needs and he won't need either. You'll also probably need to limit the alfalfa to no more than 5#/day or he'll have even more weight issues. A RB even fed at the very low amount of 1-2# per day is again probably more than he needs. If you like the Buckeye products, put him on the Grass Plus. It's a loose Vit/mineral product that you feed either freechoice or you can topdress (2 oz) over a handful of feed. It's the cheapest way to go and eliminates any extra calories.

wetrain17 06-08-2011 05:56 PM

Buck eye has Gro 'N Win. (If you want to stay with Buckeye). You will want to consider the quality of pasture your horse will be getting before choosing a ration balancer. Have you talked to this boarding facility about what they feed? I would start there. They know their program best and how the horses weight and conditions are maintained. Ration Balancers are a good idea if your horse will be getting plenty of forage. I would ask this boarding facility if they get their hay tested. It is not difficult to do and you will want to know the protein levels on the hay.

Wallaby 06-08-2011 06:10 PM

I have Lacey on a ration balancer (Purina's Enrich 32 which isn't the best one out there but it's the only one I could get) and I really like what it's done for her. I found that she seems more "all there" mentally, if you know what I mean. Like, she used to have days where she was just a fruit loop and it was like she was gone inside her head. Her body was there but she wasn't thinking and there was no way I could get her "down". Since she's been on the ration balancer I've found that she's more all there all the time. I think maybe she was missing a nutrient or something and that the addition of the ration balancer helped fix that.
I've also found that she's less hot. She still has hot days, of course, but it's more of a under control "OMG! I'm so happy! I would desperately love to go run around, if that's ok?" as opposed to her previous "OMG!!!! I need to run around and I don't care if I kill you in the process!!!" hot. :lol:

But anyway, I really like what a ration balancer has done for Lacey. And I can add all her supplements to it instead of giving her a handful of grain which she most certainly does not need.
Also, with a ration balancer, you're only gonna feed about a pound of it per day for full nutrition so even though the bag itself is expensive (for me it's $27), it lasts 50 days (50 pound bag).

spookychick13 06-08-2011 08:59 PM

Thanks all! <3

2SCHorses 06-21-2011 09:48 PM

Which Ration Balancer is really the best one? Here, I have the choice of Triple Crown, Nutrena, Bartlett, and Purina. The Nutrena only comes in a 40 lb bag, which makes me feel like it's not the best deal, and the Purina and Bartlett are the closest by quite a bit, and really like the feed store that sells the Purina. Right now I have the Bartlett because that's down in our local feed store 5 minutes away, but I would have to drive 20 minutes for Purina, 40 minutes for Nutrena and TC (times are a one way trip, not round trip).