The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Exercises for improving topline (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/exercises-improving-topline-88642/)

Dressage10135 06-09-2011 12:41 AM

Exercises for improving topline

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't find a specific thread on this so I thought I'd start one. As many of you know, I'm leasing a horse (Peanut) and am getting into a full riding "workload" per week. I've noticed he's getting leaner and developing muscle but was wondering if there are any specific exercises I can be doing to develop his top line better? Or is it just maintaining the roundness and impulsion and it will develop on its own? Thanks!!

ETA: I realize he will never be an upper level prospect, but I am just getting going so for now he is a great horse to learn on.

smrobs 06-09-2011 01:33 AM

Aw, I still <3 Peanut. The only things I know to suggest are hill work and long and low work. P looks rather hunky right there though :wink:.

Dressage10135 06-09-2011 01:46 AM

Thanks Jen! He thinks he's pretty handsome :lol:

I've got so many hills to ride on, so that will work perfect. Trot up? Canter? Walk?

I'm thinking trot up and walk down? I have no clue lol

smrobs 06-09-2011 02:00 AM

I'm not really sure either LOL. I've never really had to worry about trying to build topline. I would assume that lots of walking because that's more work?? *shrugs* IDK :lol:.

kitten_Val 06-09-2011 06:53 AM

Hills and poles would be a typical advice.

Although I have to say I didn't find poles to be very useful in my own routine, and we have no hills around what so ever. :D So I basically just ask them to go round each time we ride. So far works for me.

~*~anebel~*~ 06-09-2011 10:13 AM

Correct riding builds correct muscling. And of course time.
I cross train with my horses as well, and of course hills and poles will also work, but they should be included in your program regardless.
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dressage10135 06-09-2011 01:31 PM

Ok so basically I need to keep doing what I have been and just be patient! Not one of my stronger points :lol:

Thanks guys!

Kayty 06-09-2011 09:49 PM

Haha yes Dressage10135, unfortunately you MUST be patient if you want to get anywhere with a horse. Rushing create errors, which may seem non-problematic in the short term, but the long term training and soundness will be severely compromised.

kitten_Val 06-09-2011 10:55 PM

It's not too bad, Dressage. :wink: Took me several months last year, but this year after the winter break they grew muscles back faster (I'd say about a month or so).

Dressage10135 06-09-2011 11:02 PM

Oh yeah, I know I don't want to take shortcuts.. i just want results! :lol:

Maybe I'll put up some progress pics along the way and see if you guys can see a difference!