The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   Looking for Hay in AZ (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/looking-hay-az-88720/)

Whisper22 06-09-2011 08:24 PM

Looking for Hay in AZ

I'm looking for more affordable hay in the Queen Creek, AZ or surounding areas. I've been buying it for about $15 a bale for alfalfa but have seen it for $13 a bale, just not close enough to me to be worth it. Does anyone know of any sellers in this area that are selling it a little cheaper than the big feed stores and hay places?

smrobs 06-09-2011 08:50 PM

I don't, but good luck. With the drought in this part of the country, hay is getting harder and harder to come by and what is out there to be found is getting more expensive.

Whisper22 06-09-2011 09:55 PM

Tell me about it lol. I'm having a hard time keeping my husband happy about my horses with these prices.

katiekins224 06-13-2011 11:30 AM

Have you tried looking on craigslist for your area? I just took a look at a random city in arizona and searched for hay and it came up with quite a few matches....I have had a lot of luck with craigslist in the past.

I thought the 6.25 I paid at the feed store today was steep...but $13 geesh! I hope you find something cheaper! :)

Speed Racer 06-13-2011 11:36 AM

If you can't find actual hay, you can supplement with alfalfa or hay stretcher pellets.

I don't know how much they run in your area, but they should be cheaper than $15.00 for a 50 pound bag. I know a lot of folks in the desert states who don't feed any hay at all, and use the pellets.

I know alfalfa is more expensive than grass hay, but yow! I got my last batch of grass hay for $3.75 a bale, delivered and stacked. Of course, I had to buy 100 bales at a time.

Whisper22 06-13-2011 01:27 PM

Craigslist is the first place I look. There are a lot of people selling it for $13 a bale but they aren't close enough to me to be worth it. I bought 4 bales of alfalfa for $14 a bale and 4 bales of grass for $11 a bale at my usual place. All the stores around here buy from them, so they seem to be setting the price for everyone else who are all selling for $15 or more in order to make a profit.

I havn't really thought about pellets because my one horse that I feed alfalfa eats with one of my sister in laws horses on her property, and there's not a way to split them up. This is an issue because not that long ago they traded this horse for a better trained one to a lady who only fed pellets. The other horse didn't work out so they ended up trading back. Their horse coliced when he came back home and they were told it was because he was switched from hay to pellets. I don't know how likely that is but there is no way they would allow him to eat pellets again. I don't really have a say in it because it's their property and they feed MY horses for me.

When I bought my first horse 2 years ago, hay was like $6 a bale, going up to $9 or $10 in the winter, but this is just ridiculous.

Speed Racer 06-13-2011 08:37 PM

I see your problem. Since your horse is fed in a group setting, the pellets wouldn't work for your situation.

I found my best hay supplier from CL, so they're out there. But then, I'm back east where hay is plentiful, especially this time of year.

I feel for you, I really do. I've often wondered how the west coast folks afford their critters, since everything seems triple what we pay for it back east.