The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Boots for Thrush Issues?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-boots-thrush-issues-8876/)

rocky pony 05-12-2008 11:14 PM

Hoof Boots for Thrush Issues??

A horse we have has an extreme case of thrush and several other hoof problems..We bought him pretty recently and I'm pretty sure his problems were just neglected by the people who had him because it's really bad and we've been getting help from everyone around us: vets, farriers, friends, and online, but it still hasn't really gotten much better.
We're having issues getting him better because he lives in a paddock (he doesn't do well in a pasture) and he is constantly standing in his own poop (not a cleaning problem by the way; the stalls do get cleaned every day..he just doesn't move to poop or pee and stands in the same area all day)
What I thought of is maybe we could get him some hoof boots and leave them on him while he is in his stall so they will stay clean and dry. I don't know much about them, though, so I was wondering if that might work..
I don't really know what else we can do. We've been told putting him in a pasture would probably help but that's not really an option for him at the moment..

Thank you very much,
Rachel

kitten_Val 05-13-2008 06:38 AM

I'd think putting boots to prevent thrush will do completely opposite - will make it worse. Generally keeping boots on horse 24 hours is not a good idea. If you can clean horse hoofs as often as possible (say at least once a day, better 2 or 3) this should do a trick. It's interesting though. My horses were in stall 24 hours because of the weather yesterday. When I cleaned their hoof yesterday night they were clean (much cleaner if they are in field).

Vidaloco 05-13-2008 06:39 AM

You could save some money and just duct tape some gauze/cotton packing to his feet. If you dont want to do that then I think some boots would really help. I wouldn't worry about getting a really expensive pair since he won't be ridden in them, just make sure they fit.
Kitten is right though, air is the best thing to prevent thrush.

kickshaw 05-13-2008 08:10 AM

With bad cases of thrush, I've always used the following concoction (sp?):

- Strong thrush medicine - like foulex by tuttles
- cotton roll cut into 2 hoof size pieces and 2 1 inch by 4 inch strips
- duct tape
- vet wrap

Start off by cleaning the hoof and then take the strips of cotton and press down into the creavasses between the frog and hoof.

Soak the strips with foulex or other liquid medication

Apply the two hoof shaped pads on top

Wrap with vetwrap, then with ductape (lots of it!) - I usually make a sheet of duct tape with 5-6 pieces going vertically and overlay 5-6 pices going horizontally; if you put them slightly overlapping on a fence or piece of metal, you get a sheet of duct tape you can apply to the hoof.

If the horse is in, this will work pretty well - but be sure to change it every 24 hours (new everything).

Also, when he does go out, be sure the boot is off :wink:

Good Luck!