The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The Best Program To Buy?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/best-program-buy-8878/)

mlkarel2010 05-12-2008 11:49 PM

The Best Program To Buy?!?!

Ok, so anyone who has bought these or knows someone who has bought these please help me. I need advice or stories of results/experiences. So I want to buy a training program and I'm not sure which one yet, I've put a few options in the poll. If anyone has something to say please feel free to tell me. I would like to know what trainer and what course would be reccommended.

LadyDreamer 05-13-2008 02:01 AM

I am a Clinton Anderson fan and a No Worries Club member.I am not a devoted user of his methods but I have learned a great deal from him. He has great clarity which makes for greater understanding of his methods.

Don't limit yourself though. Learn from as many people as you can. There is no "perfect" method.

Not to mention a lot of these are very expensive. What I would say do, is go to one of these guys' clinics. The price of the ticket will give you a better look at what you will be buying if you decide to buy.

If you go to a Clinton Anderson Clinic, stay for the duration. Stay both days. You won't be convinced if you give up after a day.

kitten_Val 05-13-2008 06:28 AM

First of all, buy used dvds from eBay. It'll be MUCH cheaper than buying them from CA or Parelli site directly.

I personally found CA methods helpful (although not all of them). And I'm not fan of Parelli (didn't work for me).

Vidaloco 05-13-2008 07:03 AM

I have had the best luck with Clinton Anderson. I've only used his working with foals, weanlings and yearlings DVD. I find him to be no nonsense and easy to understand.
Have you looked into any Frank Bell training? I really like him a lot too. http://www.horsewhisperer.com/
I also used to subscribe to Perfect Horse from John Lyons. I learned tons just from reading that magazine. I really need to start getting it again :lol:

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-13-2008 09:04 AM

I have gone to a John Lyons clinic. I REALLY liked him as a person and as a trainer. He is very simple and direct and faith based (might be why I liked him as a person so much). I have gotten a TON of info from his magazine and I recently bought a book that is very good too. Communicating with cues: The reader's guide to training and problem solving part 1. It was $14 and is PACKED with info!

I also check out youtube ALOT! there are tons of people puting up videos of either the actual trainer or themselves following a certain trainer's program. You can learn alot there too. I like the 7 games by parelli. All except the yo-yo game. I like cues though. Its really a matter of what YOU like so that you will stick with it.

Anywho... this is what I do. :D

Spirithorse 05-13-2008 09:31 AM

I would say go with the Parelli Levels 1-3. I have those and the L&HB pack and also the Success Series. All the packs are wonderful. I loved the L&HB pack......no other trainer out there is that in depth about horse psychology as Parelli is in that pack.

So that's my vote! :)

Sara 05-13-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
I also check out youtube ALOT! there are tons of people puting up videos of either the actual trainer or themselves following a certain trainer's program. You can learn alot there too.

I think that's a fantastic idea. You never know what's going to "click" with you in a trainer and those dvds get really darn expensive. I like Clinton Anderson myself. I also like John Lyons (there are many similarities in their methods), but I find some of his early groundwork harder to translate without a round pen.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-13-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
I also check out youtube ALOT! there are tons of people puting up videos of either the actual trainer or themselves following a certain trainer's program. You can learn alot there too.

I think that's a fantastic idea. You never know what's going to "click" with you in a trainer and those dvds get really darn expensive. I like Clinton Anderson myself. I also like John Lyons (there are many similarities in their methods), but I find some of his early groundwork harder to translate without a round pen.

We don't have a round pen. I REALLY wish we did. I am thinking of making one out of hotwire. Not to turn it on, but the horses already know what it is and respect it. We have a doubled line of masonary string across as a gate in our yard. The horses don't know its not "hot" but they also don't test it. 8) I don't know if we will actually do that but I have seen them before. I try to do a lot in our smaller square pen but I can see where a round pen would be ideal.

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 10:15 AM

I would also say Parelli Levels 1-3. ;)

appylover31803 05-13-2008 10:58 AM

i would suggest to go onto their sites and see if they have a free DVD. I did that with Parelli and loved it. That way you can get a DVD from them so you know what to expect before shelling out the money.

I vote for Parelli. I started out with him and have seen a lot of progress with Vega. And i plan on doing it when Gem too.

But choose who suits you best :)