The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning horses' bits - no, not those kind of 'bits' (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-horses-bits-no-not-those-8888/)

Kyani 05-13-2008 10:54 AM

Cleaning horses' bits - no, not those kind of 'bits'

Since I'm planning to get my own first horse soon (when I leave university, anyway) and have my heart set on a gelding (I know, I know, decide you want something and you'll probably end up with the opposite - I'll most likely end up buying a grey mare that doesn't jump), I was just wondering how many of you all clean yur geldings' 'bits'? I've worked at a riding school for ages but the owner doesn't do hers unless they get really nasty.
How often do you do it?
How much do they let you do - do they let you do it at all?

Or, for that matter, how many of your clean around your mares' 'bits'?

appylover31803 05-13-2008 11:02 AM

We have yet to clean Gem's just because he has a tendency to kick, but i plan on getting brave on a warm day and attempting it.

I have cleaned Vega's udders just once. I honestly didn't realize the importance of cleanings mares too. But i plan on doing it every like 3 months or so, or depending on how it is.

kickshaw 05-13-2008 11:05 AM

My old guy doesn't mind it at all - he gets cleaned out about 1x/ month in the warm weather

Boo, bless his heart, last time I had his sheath cleaned he was given massive amounts of tranq - and still tried to kick the vet... he could hardly stand! (we ended up sitting him down like a donkey on a small bank)...so he only gets cleaned out twice a year. :shock:

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-13-2008 11:40 AM

I have yet to try to clean my guys... I think twister will be ok..not like it but be ok, I'm not sure what Dumas will do...honestly I don't really want to find out. I may have to try to find a horsey buddy that doesn't mind showing me how. I may ask the vet to do it but that will cost $. I don't like trying to predict the horses... they always do the opposite! Watch Dumas be fine and Twister throw a fit! Once I get the bathing thing down i'm gonna try the bit cleaning.

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 11:54 AM

I clean my mare about every other month maybe? idk

HooverH 05-16-2008 08:29 PM

I've only wiped Hoovey off with my hand, and he does start to threaten. A corrective slap on his butt and he stops, so I think as long as I have someone there the first time to watch in case I miss him warning, he shouldn't be much of a problem.

I know my riding instructor does them as they need it, which is usually twice a year. They use Tuck's Pads on the mare's udders and bits, which are a human female bits cleaning product.

I'll probably end up cleaning Hoover when ever he gets too dirty down there, but I can't really answer the poll yet.

Abby 05-16-2008 10:38 PM

We clean our mares utters at least once a month with baby wipes. If we're brushing an see some crusties, she gets a good cleaning with baby wipes. We clean our geldings at least ever six months, and sooner if they look like they need it.

Vidaloco 05-17-2008 08:10 AM

I can usually tell when the girls need a cleaning. They act like their butt itches. I can't clean Vida from the side I have to go in from between her back legs. I haven't figured out why, but the only time she has kicked me was when I went in from the side. She will let me clean all day from the rear :? We don't have any boys :D

jazzyrider 05-17-2008 08:46 PM

i havent had my boys long enough to need to do them but in the past ive always got the vet to do it. im really not into whats involved with sheath cleaning :)

i clean possum every time she has a bath which is usually monthly depending on how dirty she is :) i like to keep her squeeky clean all the time ;)

Equina 05-19-2008 11:10 PM

I cleaned my boy when I first got him about a year ago. He had a HUGE bean! I was kind of scared to squeeze it out, but one hot afternoon, after a big workout, he was so relaxed, I went for it. I did it right in the arena!

Now, I check him out probably monthly and he has no bean accumulation. He'll get a few crusties that I pick off, but he generally stays pretty clean. I'll do a full on Excalibur cleaning once a year, but keeping a watch on things in case I need to do more.