The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   18 yr old gelding *better pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/18-yr-old-gelding-%2Abetter-pictures-88884/)

Goodbye13lueSky 06-12-2011 01:02 PM

18 yr old gelding *better pictures

4 Attachment(s)
Hopefully these pics are a little better.

Ray MacDonald 06-12-2011 01:15 PM

Over all, not bad.

-He has a long back and a hunters bump, his back legs seem to be back far.

-He has low hocks (good for barrel racers) and his neck ties in good to his chest.

These are just somethings I noticed but I am not a pro :)

Goodbye13lueSky 06-12-2011 02:34 PM

Thanks! He is a bit cow hocked too but I don't have a good shot that shows it. He needs some muscle too. Once his back has filled out with more muscle will that affect how the hunters bump looks? Will it make it appear smaller?

crimson88 06-13-2011 01:49 PM

I didn't see your original post, I am guessing you want us to critique his conformation? Is barrel racing what you want to use him for? Keep in mind that he is an older horse and if you are planning on purchasing him for a high impact riding, like barrel racing, besure to get a vet or chiropractor to examine him before you pay for him.

If barrel racing is what your plans are for him, he most likely will not have the capability to turn sharp and quick. He has a very long back, that is sunken with no muscle. Of course you can build up his back muscles, but you can not do anything to make it shorter.

From the pictures provided, he appears to have decent looking legs (no inflammation, scars, ect.) But as already said, his hind legs are out a little, which will also affect his stopping and turning, unfortunately. He also has a decently sized hoof, which helps keep him sound.
Small hooved horses = bad performance.

Ray MacDonald 06-13-2011 02:57 PM

It wont make it smaller, but it will not be as noticeable if he got a good topline.

Goodbye13lueSky 06-13-2011 03:37 PM

I plan on doing pleasure riding and trails with him. I don't ride western much at all but I want to fiddle around with it on him.

Ray MacDonald 06-16-2011 08:44 PM

He looks like a horse that would be really good with pleasure riding with a little messing around to keep him on his toes! He is a real cutie <3

Goodbye13lueSky 06-16-2011 11:07 PM

CharliGirl 06-17-2011 03:43 PM

Gotta love the appaloosas! What a handsome boy. :)