The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hates standing tied at the hitching post (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hates-standing-tied-hitching-post-88910/)

steedaunh32 06-12-2011 08:47 PM

Hates standing tied at the hitching post

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm looking at this great little BLM mustang mare as my potential next trail partner in crime. She's great under saddle and rides best in a little s hack or just a halter. 18 yo, 13.2hh. Her ground manners are good, but her one vice is that she really does not like being tied at the hitching post, or cross-tied. In the round pen however, she's much better about being groomed and tacked. Not sure what would cause this but I'm interested on some ideas as to how I would be able to work with her on it. I don't think it's a deal breaker by any means; her training and ability under saddle is too good to let something like this turn me off, but I would like to get her better about standing tied. Any advice is appreciated! Here's a few pictures of her - she's a cutie!

Cherie 06-12-2011 10:34 PM

You just have not left her tied long enough. Just tie her until she 'gives it up'. It may take one day or 3 days, but they all give it up. Tie her in a safe place in the shade (under a tree is ideal) and leave her alone. Do not leave her is cross ties. A trail hors`e does not need to be cross tied -- ever and you cannot safely leave one.

Tie her in the morning, offer her water at noon (but do not be alarmed if she does not drink all day), put her out at night and tie her up again early the next morning. Do this until she stands still when you first tie her out.

I just went through this with a 7 year old QH gelding. He stood for 6 hours the first day before he stopped screaming and pawing. I put him back out. The next day he screamed and pawed for 3 hours. I fed him and put him out. Yesterday he called out twice, never pawed and was resting a hind foot within 5 minutes. We are over it and ready to go to work now.

We get all of our trail horses broke to tie indefinitely. It is nothing to tie them overnight or for 10 or 12 hours at a time. They all just go sleep with a hind foot rested when tied.

Be sure you tie a horse to a place that is safe. I prefer a nylon rope hanging down from a tree limb. Always tie a horse shoulder to wither high. Never tie them where they can get their heads lower than their shoulder. Always tie with a big swivel snap fastening the rope to the flat nylon web halter. NEVER, NEVER tie to a tree limb with a halter and lead made together. The rope will twist up (because there is no swivel) and can hang the horse.

I prefer the tree limb because the horse cannot paw anything or bang its legs and feet on anything. They can go around and around (which they all will) and they will decide to give it up. Then they are done with it.

horsgal 06-13-2011 11:18 PM

I agree with Cherie! Leave them tied until they get over it, you will be amazed at what it does for your horse!! :)

smrobs 06-14-2011 01:24 AM

She's a cutie and seems like a nice, solid little mare. Do you know what she does when she's tied? Does she just fret around, pawing and fidgeting or does she sit back and pull?

Either way, I am much the same mind as Cherie, just leave her tied and let her work it out herself. I have found, with my young horses, that they figure it out faster after a good workout when they are already tired and all they want to do is stand and rest.

mbender 06-14-2011 06:58 AM

Robs, got a question. What do you do when you tie your horse and want to leave them for a few hours but the bugs are so bad that they are almost tortured because they can't really get away from them? Even though you have sprayed them with fly spray?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 06-14-2011 01:08 PM

LOL, fortunately, we don't have bugs down here that bad. I suppose if we did, I would likely invest in a fly sheet/fly net or some kind or some super duper fly repellent that would work.