The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Are all drafts lazy-bones?! (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/all-drafts-lazy-bones-88924/)

DraftyAiresMum 06-13-2011 12:43 AM

Are all drafts lazy-bones?!

Okay, so I don't know if it's just my draft horse, or if everyone's is like this, but he is SOOOOOOOOOO lazy!! When I turn him out, first thing he does is roll, then he just wanders aimlessly around the turnout. He's two, so I'm expecting some gallivanting and bucking and YEE-HAW! But, nope. He just meanders. I had an eight-year-old arab/saddlebred cross gelding who had more UMPH when turned out than Aires does and Dakota had bad hocks! Is the uber-laziness normal? I mean, he'll kind of crow hop every once in a while when I first turn him out if I "go after" him and throw my arms up/make "shhht" noises, but it's like one little crow hop and then he's done. I guess I should be glad that he's so level-headed, but geez! He can't even have a little fun on his own! lol

PintoTess 06-13-2011 12:53 AM

One thing to say here...

Heck no!! :D

DraftyAiresMum 06-13-2011 12:59 AM

I used to ride a paint mare we called "Mule Ears" and "Lazy Bones" 'cuz she was so gosh darned lazy. She had to have some SERIOUS motivation to even think about trotting (which I only got her to do twice...once entirely by accident). :-P I guess I just expected a two-year-old to have some pizzazz and umph. I should probably be thankful he's so level-headed and ho-hum, though, after what happened to me on one of the stable horses yesterday. lol

PintoTess 06-13-2011 01:02 AM

Hahah ;D He will change lol, he still has a lot to grow to being a wee 2 year old ":D

There is a user on here (I can't for the life of me remember her name!) And she has a few draftys. She showjumps her gypsy mare and I can't remember what she does with her clydie. There names are.....Caleigh and Legacy im sure! Dang my forgetfulness! lol :D

DraftyAiresMum 06-13-2011 01:11 AM

"Wee" being an ironic use of the word, I hope? He's already 15.2hh. lol

I'm wondering what size he'll mature into (started a thread about it, but haven't gotten any hits)...his sire was a 16.3hh spotted draft and his dam was pure Percheron, but I don't know her size.

He's such a pocket pony, too (which is a draft trait for sure). Working with him in the round pen is an exercise in keeping him away from me. :-P

PintoTess 06-13-2011 01:19 AM

Hahah yes, sarcastic lol :D

If his sire was as big as you say and his dam is a pure perc, I would be guessing somwehere around 16hh maybe?

DraftyAiresMum 06-13-2011 01:21 AM

His sire is the sixth stallion down (Pete): Edelweiss Percherons - Stallions

There's a pure Perch mare at the stable who came from the same farm Aires did and is the same age, and she's already 16+hh.

apachewhitesox 06-13-2011 02:16 AM

Just thought I would add that I have three (10, 12, 27 yrs old) the youngest is a thoroughbred and he is the laziest of the lot. The other two will take off by themself or undersaddle. Him (unless he is having a very rare excited day) will lay down roll a lot and plod EVERYWHERE. You are lucky to get a fast walk out of him if you can get him to trot or canter it is very slow and almost like he is about to stop. I don't think it is a draft thing.

Also I think it Drafts4ever you were thinking of PintoTess. :D

drafts4ever 06-13-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PintoTess (Post 1063495)
Hahah ;D He will change lol, he still has a lot to grow to being a wee 2 year old ":D

There is a user on here (I can't for the life of me remember her name!) And she has a few draftys. She showjumps her gypsy mare and I can't remember what she does with her clydie. There names are.....Caleigh and Legacy im sure! Dang my forgetfulness! lol :D

That would be me!
I show both my girls but this year Caleigh my Clydesdale is in breeding for a drum baby so she gets a lazy summer. Other than that I show her in english pleasure. She is lazy with the people that don't make her work and she has plenty of energy with people that make her work. She's extremely level headed but not against running the herd out in the pasture if she's in the mood.

My Gypsy Vanner Legacy is in training for show jumping and doing great. She's exactly like Caleigh mannerism wise. She's great with kids and beginners and knows how to act when a person gets on her meaning business. Both are very calm level headed horse and with beginners and in the sun they can be very lazy however given the option they are more than happy to run and buck and have fun.

sitbacnroc 06-14-2011 01:24 PM

I think it just depends on the horse, haha. My one draft, Ash is like your boy. Just relaxed and lazy. Whereas my other perch Jozie is a little spit fire. I guess it all depends on their personality. :)