The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help me find a way to earn money?? (2 large vet bills right now) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-me-find-way-earn-money-88931/)

HollyBubbles 06-13-2011 05:10 AM

Help me find a way to earn money?? (2 large vet bills right now)

3 Attachment(s)
I don't know whether there's any point posting this or not(and I feel a bit stupid for it), but hey if there's any ideas out there then that would be awesome.

Obviously, I have two large vet bills that I want to downsize and I feel quite guilty about it because my mum is the one paying them, for my horse. She said she doesn't mind but he is my horse and I feel I should be responsible for atleast part of this.

I am 16 and don't have a job (there are reasons, I'm not just a lazy teenager) and I go to high school 6 and a half hours a day, plus an hour for travel.

I'm pretty good on sewing machines, I can do a lot of crafty things, like making necklaces and bracelets etc, I can knit and draw and bake/cook etc and I love making things. So is there anything anybody can think of that I could possibly make to sell? (I do realise that I need money to start this up, and I do have money, I would just really like to make some more to help the vet bill costs etc, and stop feeling so guilty about mum and dad paying for me for everything)
It doesn't necesarily need to be an equine thing, just anything in general.

Example of my latest sewing project: Tui blanket (the beer) for my bf as a textiles project. Its got a black back and is 2m x 1.5m and I also sewed a pocket with a zip into the back
Attachment 66294

Example of my drawings:
Attachment 66295
I drew the face of a horse out of a book one day while I had broken ribs
Attachment 66296
And drew this one from a photo I had. (However I don't think this ones very good and I definately can't draw people too well)

writer23 06-13-2011 05:27 AM

As someone who is inundated with large vet bills at the moment, I definitely feel for you. And I commend your initiative to raise money and be responsible for your horse. I don't have any answers for you unfortunately. Just keep your chin up:)

If you're mum is telling you not to worry, give yourself a break and focus on getting your horse better and your studies, since ultimately your studies are the key to you being able to pay for your horse in the future.

HollyBubbles 06-13-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by writer23 (Post 1063554)
As someone who is inundated with large vet bills at the moment, I definitely feel for you.

Oh no not you too:-(, we had the vet out twice in one week, the second time was on a Sunday. First time was a hoof abcess (bang goes over $200) the second time was because Mitch thought it was a great idea to eat a wasp :shock: and we haven't gotten the price of that bill yet so I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by writer23 (Post 1063554)
If you're mum is telling you not to worry, give yourself a break and focus on getting your horse better and your studies, since ultimately your studies are the key to you being able to pay for your horse in the future.

The reason I worry and feel guilty is because I know it's going on her credit card and I feel really bad about it because she is a stay-at-home mum.
He's better now, and possibly will decide that next time he see's a wasp that it's not a good idea.
Yeah, I'm planning on going to uni and hopefully becoming a radiologist so hopefully if I work hard enough it will happen :)

Kayty 06-13-2011 06:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your vet bills. I'm another one thats been inundated with vet bills, it's one after the other. Only just finished paying off my $3000 bill for my boy's hock, then yesterday (a Sunday!) my wb went ballistic and tied up... so another bill to come and will be a hefty one at that as he was on a drip for most of the day.
I'm also paying off a new car, my partner is wanting to look into buying a new house and I am struggling to find long term, permanent full time work.

I can't help you with money unfortunately, maybe offer to help out around the house a bit more in return for your mum paying for the bills?
Your drawings are good, but as an artist myself that has my own business set up to take commissions, the money in art is terrible and its very hard to get clients until you've been doing it for a while, or offer next to nothing and are very good at what you do.

writer23 06-13-2011 07:24 AM

Yep, vet bills come along with the horse-owning territory. Like Kayty, I've just finished paying off over $3000 (I had to fly in an internal medicine vet) and I have a looming vet bill of about $1000 later this summer. And I'm a full time writer, so the pay is leaving faster than it comes in, mainly because I focus too much on horses and not enough on writing in the summer.

My mom was a single stay-at-home mum for about five years as my sister and I started riding. So I do understand where you are coming from. But right now you're not in a realistic situation to pay yourself, so I agree, perhaps help around the house a bit to alleviate your feeling of guilt. It sounds like you're on the path to be financially responsible as an adult and have picked a great career! (unlike me, lol).

Shasta1981 06-13-2011 04:06 PM

What about selling some items you aren't really using anymore? Doesn't have to be horse-related but if you have anything of value that just sits around (like videogames from a few years ago or movies you don't watch anymore) then perhaps this would give you a good chance to clean up and make some money back. I think its great that you are trying to help out!

gaelgirl 06-13-2011 06:12 PM

What about baby sitting? There can be good money in that if you can find a few families to sit for. You could do it evenings/ nights so it doesn't interfere with your schooling. Just a suggestion, I hope it helps.

HollyBubbles 06-14-2011 06:10 AM

So far I have stuck a few of my unused or older items etc on trademe and trade & exchange, but I have a feeling they won't be bought around about now.
I do help around the house a bit, and I do more than I'm asked (which I'm quite happy to do)
I also babysit for my parents and their friends when I'm asked, and now I have my restricted license it's a lot easier to do it.

I talked to a friend today about jobs, and she works in a supermarket up to 4 times a week, sometimes only once a week and still gets decent pay. So I might start applying for afterschool jobs a few days a week and sunday nights or something. So long as I still have time to do my homework and study, and to look after Mitch and Gemma properly (I can feed in the dark no worries so I should be fine there)

We only ever needed to have the vet out once specifically for bubbles in the 3 years we had her, so I guess it's going to even out now I have Mitch :lol:
If I do get a job, seeing as I don't spend much money for myself (less than $20 a month typically) I would make another bank account for health (me and animals) and put $10-$20 a week into it, so that in the future when the time comes for me to have to pay my own bills I will have atleast some money put away to pay for whatever I may need it for.
^I'm the sort of person that likes to plan ahead where I can, I don't do a lot of stuff on impulse

MHFoundation Quarters 06-14-2011 09:23 AM

I too can relate to the vet bills, this has been a doozy of a year for me too. Woodstock has racked up 5k in the last 7 months by himself. Bad tendon injury, lots of laser therapy, ultrasounds, etc, etc. He's darn near drained the rainy day fund :(

I do have sewing ideas for you! I have a friend who makes felt play food for kids, it's super cute stuff & she does really well on it. I got my nephews a pizza kit, the dough, sauce & cheese is sewed on and then it came with a bag of assorted toppings that had velcro backs. She sells them online on a craft website, does a booth at the county fair, local festivals & the flea market some weekends.

What about horse related sewing projects? Halter/bridle bags, saddle covers, lycra hoods, plain under pads for western riders; my wonderful gma made me 6 to put under my wool show blankets, nicer than pre-made & always the perfect size for my blankets (no extra that hangs out & shows underneath) Fleece leg/polo wraps. My grandma is a formally trained seamstress & has always made custom show jackets (wish I'd have learned, I can make curtains & straight skirts...that's about it!) but she always made good extra income doing repairs on halters, patching blankets, etc. Though much of that type of stuff required using a heavy duty serger & leather needles.

Alwaysbehind 06-14-2011 09:31 AM

I paid good money to have someone sew me a custom saddle pad recently. I bought the fabrics, binding edge and webbing for girth keeper (amounts she said) and she sewed me up a lovely pad.

If you can crochet you can make ear bonnets and pommel pads.