The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Conformation help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/conformation-help-88947/)

Ohhkierst 06-13-2011 09:58 AM

Conformation help!

1 Attachment(s)
looking to buy this 3 year old and put him in a prof training for 3 months for western pleasure. I need help on his conformation and his abilities. I have never bought a young horse, always a trained older one.

Ohhkierst 06-13-2011 10:02 AM

another photo

1 Attachment(s)
this photo was taken of him last night

corinowalk 06-13-2011 10:04 AM

What are you looking to do with him?

Ohhkierst 06-13-2011 10:06 AM

looking to do western pleasure, all around .

corinowalk 06-13-2011 10:10 AM

He has a fairly upright shoulder and pasterns. This will probably make for a bit of a rough trot. He is just the slightest bit bum high but at 3, he may still pull out of it. Back is nice and short and while his hind is a bit under developed it, really isn't a huge issue, it will get there. With training, I think he can overcome most of it.

Ohhkierst 06-13-2011 10:16 AM

I am worried about getting to be able to get a slow western pleasure trot out of him . With his pasterns. The owner said that his mother and father didn't fully develop as well as his brother around 5. Which that could be a huge lie, but I'm just unsure. She has him prices at 2500. In your opinion would you think he could be trained and "fixed" I keep watching his videos and am just so unsure.

corinowalk 06-13-2011 10:25 AM

I think he is a nice looking horse but with his pasterns, I would say he is going to have to struggle to really get that slow, soft, engaged jog. As a 3 year old, he may finish out but I doubt his pasterns are going to change much. They aren't straight upright, but they are up enough to make things a little bumpy. If you are looking to do open shows and such with him, I think with the right training he could be competitive. But if you are thinking more along the lines of bigger shows and such, I don't think he would fair well. $2500 is a pretty good price but considering you are going to need a couple months training...that really takes him up to about $4K. You can give him the training but you can't fix the conformation. His resale value will be affected by his faults.

Overall, he is a nice looking horse, very pretty face and looks to be pretty well balanced head to tail. The market is so soft right now, I think you could find something similarly priced with a little better confo.

Ohhkierst 06-13-2011 10:28 AM

I think your absolutely right. Thank you so much for all you help! My search continues !