The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   rubbing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rubbing-8895/)

SonnyWimps 05-13-2008 01:41 PM

rubbing

lately I've noticed that Sonny is rubbing his mane (the top...the crest of his neck I guess is the name...not sure though) and at first he only ripped off part of his mane...but now below that he was rubbed off practicually all the parts on that one section...
what can I do to stop him from continuing?

Also what can I do to help it regrow quickly? I put ALOT of MTG on it, but what else? Or is that about it? It's low on his neck so I guess I could wrap it...but I doubt he'd keep it on.

Any ideas?

buckaroo2010 05-13-2008 01:56 PM

yeah i think your doing good by using MTG :)

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 02:06 PM

I'd continue with the MTG; that should really help. ;)

SonnyWimps 05-13-2008 03:05 PM

anything though that I could do to prevent him from rubbing himself?

He seems to be doing it on the fence but not 100% sure

Sara 05-13-2008 03:15 PM

Maybe put him in a full hot wire enclosure so he has nowhere to scratch...I don't know. A mane keeper might work in the stall, but it sounds like he has turnout most of the time. If he really wants to do it, nothing is going to stop him. Do you know why he's scratching?

appylover31803 05-13-2008 03:15 PM

do you have a lot of bugs out? He could be itching himself and it just happens that he's getting his mane.

I know when a horse rubs his tail, worms could be a problem, not sure if its the same for manes.

Is he rubbing anywhere else?

SonnyWimps 05-13-2008 10:31 PM

he's in his pasture 24/7...he isn't stalled at all so a mane sweat (or whatever it's called) probably wouldn't work.

He seems only to be rubbing his mane..I don't know if he's purposely rubbing it, or if he just happened to be rubbing and it's getting caught...but I know the skin there is kinda scabby so it does appear that he's actually rubbing that spot. I'll try to get pictures of it on Thursday

I've been putting fly spray on him so I don't think it's the bugs...nor have I ever seen him itch his neck...I've only seen him itch his face.

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 10:35 PM

Hm...maybe cover it/wrap it or something? Or get some type of hood?

SonnyWimps 05-13-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Hm...maybe cover it/wrap it or something? Or get some type of hood?

but the problem with that is, he wouldn't keep his fly mask on (his cut up his face because of it) so wouldn't he do the same with the cover/wrap?

I'm trying to find out what exactly he's rubbing it on, so I can get a good idea...I'm going to watch him for a good 2 hours to see what exactly he does (watch from a distance of course...cause if he sees me he'll follow me) so maybe that will tell me how he's doing it

Solon 05-13-2008 10:51 PM

Good ol' calamin lotion. You can buy it at Walmart for a couple of bucks. Put some latex gloves on and really soak it into the crest area.You have to reapply every few days depending on how itchy/dry the skin is but it works like a charm.

I use it on my boy who had itched off a lot of the lower part of his mane.