The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   newbie-garters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/newbie-garters-88983/)

myhorseriesen 06-13-2011 07:20 PM

newbie-garters

so i am having my first English horse show on Saturday and i am doing everything i can to get ready and of course that means shopping at the local tack stor. i had a list of things i need witch included garters. i had the person at the store help me find some in my size but i truly have no idea (a how to put them on and (b what the heck i am using them for and why. i am kind of embarrassed but could someone help.

thanks,
mhr

Scoutrider 06-13-2011 08:00 PM

Did you buy/look at something like these? Devon-Aire Childs Garter Straps - Statelinetack.com

These garters are strapped around the leg, just below the knee, with jodhpurs. They are worn together with short paddock boots, rather than tall field or dress boots. This is a pic of the whole setup: Ovation Jodhpur GarterStraps and Jodhpur Garters, Straps, and Clips *|*Washington International Horse Show

Generally, paddock boots, jods, and garters are standard turnout for younger riders on smaller ponies. The usual age at which young riders "graduate" to tall boots is about 10-12 years of age, IME, depending on the child's length of leg, etc. Over 12 years, tall boots and breeches are more appropriate show attire.

myhorseriesen 06-14-2011 10:55 AM

ok thanks! i am alittle older but my instructor thought those would be better. thank you so much.

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 02:18 PM

Usually it is appropriate for older students to wear tall boots. Typically garters are only for kids younger than 12 or so. However, I would say that you should go with what your trainer says. I am sure she has a reason for telling you to get garters rather than tall boots.

Alwaysbehind 06-22-2011 02:26 PM

I am guessing your trainer figured garters were a good place to start if you are new at this. It will complete the look with out costing you the higher dollar that tall boots will cost you.

myhorseriesen 07-25-2011 09:10 PM

yes it also was not a super fancy show so garters worked perfectly. thanks guys

farmpony84 07-25-2011 09:32 PM

I thought the rule for most hunter/jumper shows was under 14 wore the garters. In breed shows they don't really wear them much... I never wore them because I started out in Germany and there we did dressage... so tall boots all the way...

Allison Finch 07-25-2011 09:56 PM

I love seeing junior riders in paddocks and garters

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...06d8e2f8-1.jpg

They are neat and tidy. And, since junior riders grow so fast, you aren't spending big bucks on tall boots that you will outgrow SOOOO fast.

MadamKing 07-26-2011 02:17 AM

If you are in my part of the world, the rule is usually, you wear paddock boots until age 17, where you ust upgrade to tall boots. Although I have never seen garters here so it must be a USA thing?

myhorseriesen 07-26-2011 05:03 PM

yes i think it is up until 14 where i am .