The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   salt block and Trace mineral block question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/salt-block-trace-mineral-block-question-89000/)

jwells84 06-13-2011 10:02 PM

salt block and Trace mineral block question

I have one horse, and for now have been giving her electrlytes when i feed becuase the temperature has been near or over 100F for the last few days. I need to get her a salt block, and a mineral block, .

the main problem i'm finding is I cannot find a good mineral block that is just mineral. all the ones i can find are trace mineral, and has more salt than anything.

she gets purina strategy healhty edge and grass everyday, do you think there is a need to give her a mineral block or would the trace mineral cover it?

Also i was wondering about getting her a sulfer salt block to help with flys? Do they really help? I dont have any expeirence with sulfer salt blocks, as im alergic to sulfur,but if it will help with the flys id get one(they are terrible I live on a dairy) I want to find some way to help her with them. fly spray is just not working. Thanks!

smrobs 06-13-2011 10:31 PM

You might consider looking into loose minerals as well. Just whatever you do, make sure you get the stuff designed for horses. There are some ingredients in minerals and blocks designed for cattle that are dangerous for horses.

Beauseant 06-14-2011 02:21 PM

IMO, if she's getting a fortified grain such as strategy, that should cover most of her vitamin/mineral needs, and a mineral/salt block should be all she needs . With a block, she licks it when she wants to and is less likely to overdose herself than if you supplement her feed each day. Giving her mineral supplements on top of her Strategy could lead to overdosing of some minerals, which isn't a good idea as too much of some minerals could be dangerous.

Just my opinion.

jwells84 06-14-2011 02:54 PM

ok. so yall think i could go with just a trace mineral block then? Does anyone have expierence with sulfer salt blocks? does it really help with flys like i've hear?

smrobs 06-14-2011 02:57 PM

I don't have any experience with them so I can't say for sure.

Alwaysbehind 06-14-2011 02:58 PM

I have never even heard of the sulfur salt block. Interesting.

ioconner 06-14-2011 04:17 PM

I have no experience with them, but always thought they were used for cattle.

jwells84 06-14-2011 04:21 PM

i've heard of people using them with horses, my inlaws have all kinds of animals, deer,sheep goats horses, cows. and they use them without any problems,but they do not have the flys like i do either. the ones i've found here is texas at tractor supply are horse safe.