The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mounting problems

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  anndankev 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have a *slight* issue. I tore my rotator cuff pretty badly last year and haven't been able to get it fixed because of stupid insurance and other stuff. So, I can't lift any substantial amount of weight (like a saddle :?) above about shoulder height and I have somewhat limited range of motion (I say "somewhat limited" because it really depends on the day as to how much I have). This also presents a problem when I'm mounting a horse because I can't pull myself up into the saddle like normal. I can get about halfway up with leverage "kicking off" with my right leg from the ground, but I get my chest to seat-height and I can't get the rest of the way up. It's beyond embarrassing, because even on short horses, I have to either use a mounting block or get a leg up. I rode a 15.2hh dude string horse from the stable where I board on Saturday and had to have the BO boost me up (which someone needs to teach that man how to give a leg up because the way he did it was BEYOND embarrassing and if I didn't know him, I'd have screamed "sexual harassment") because the horse I was riding did not lead to or stand at the mounting step they have (according to the BO). I am DEFINITELY going to teach Aires how to lead to and stand at a mounting block/step/whatever, but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips on how to mount a horse from the ground that DOESN'T involve pulling myself up into the saddle? I couldn't even get on my friend's 14hh arab mare the other day in the arena. She had to lead her over to the fence so I could mount from there. :oops: It doesn't help that I'm overweight (working on it!!), either, but even when I was about 20lbs lighter (last fall working at the Girls Scout horse camp) I couldn't mount without help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any advice with regards to getting on from the ground but just wanted to say there is no shame in using a mounting block or getting a leg up from somebody. It takes the pressure off your horses back and stops you twisting the saddle which will make the tree last longer.

Obviously there are times when there is not a handy mounting block or spare person to help but I certainly wouldn't feel embarrassed about the fact you require either.

#3 ·
I've been riding for almost 33 years, and for the last 23 of them I've used a mounting block. I had a bad riding wreck when I was 30, and it tore all the muscles in my lower back and pelvic region. Because of that, I can't lift either of my legs high enough to mount from the ground.

There's absolutely no shame in using a mounting block, and as Michelle stated, it's actually easier on the horse's back if you use one because you're not wrenching them to the side every time you mount.

In fact, as soon as I show up with mine, almost everyone in my riding group asks to use it. :-p

Also, don't be afraid if you fall off or need to get off your horse at some point during your ride. I found that rocks, downed tree branches, stumps, etc. work great for giving you just enough leverage to get back in the saddle.

#4 ·
I use the block 100% time since I switched to english (I also used dairy box and currently have light step-up from HomeDepot in my trailer to get on). It shouldn't take long to teach your horse to stand quiet while you are climbing on. Usually couple sessions is enough to teach it to wait for you. :)

#9 ·
It has nothing to do with my lack of athletic ability and me being so uncoordinated that I can not get up there even if I wanted to.
Oh yeah, I forgot those small points as well, no it has nothing to do with them either.

I rode at a stables in the UK who wouldn't let ANYONE mount from the ground as a regular thing. Everyone was taught to do so, but as a general rule everyone used the block.

#11 ·
I started at a hunter lesson barn that would not allow you to mount from the ground, period. You were not taught to mount from the ground. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not good for the horse's back and we should never do it.

I blame this for my body being unable to figure out how to get my sorry (way too wide) behind from the ground onto the horse with out a block.

#12 ·
Oh, I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm "ashamed" to use a mounting block. I'm not at all, actually! When I worked at the Girls Scout horse camp last fall we HAD to use a mounting block (mainly because we had to be good examples for the girls, who were required to mount from the block, but also to save the horses' backs), so I got used to it. And I don't mind a regular leg-up (forming your hands into a stirrup to give someone that extra *umph* to get their leg up and over). It was the type of boost the BO gave me on Saturday that I seriously want to avoid at all costs. lol

Anyway, I guess I was asking more from the standpoint of if I ever end up riding a horse that doesn't/can't/won't lead to a mounting block or stand at a mounting block to be mounted (like the horse I rode on Saturday). I'm definitely going to train Aires to lead to/stand at a mounting block. Was going to start today, but there was too much going on up by the barn where the mounting block is (a BIG trail ride was coming back just as I was taking him out of his stall and I really don't want to deal with him and mares in close proximity until he's gelded).

#13 ·
You've probably already tried this, but have you tried mounting from the "off" side? It takes a little practice, but it is good to know how to mount from both sides anyway. Then maybe you are using your good arm more than your bad one.

I always mounted from the left for YEARS until I had knee trouble one year. Then I learned to mount from the off side (and always using a block or stump or rock) in case my knee got worse. Luckily it healed, but now I mount and dismount from both sides of the horse for practice. :)

#16 ·
You know, I thought about this when I was struggling to mount my friend's little 14hh arab mare the other day. I really need to practice doing this and need to teach Aires (when the time comes and he's under saddle) to accept being mounted from either side. To be completely honest, I don't need a full two-foot mounting block...just an extra six inches would be fine. lol

I found this thing on a draft horse website called a step-up stirrup. It's basically like a portable mounting block that attaches to your saddle and wraps around behind the cantle, for when you can't find a stump or rock to use as a mounting block when out on the trail. The only problem is that it apparently only works with Western saddles (or saddles that have a horn) and I'll more than likely be riding in an English saddle for now and "upgrading" to a hornless Aussie saddle for trails once Aires stops growing. It's the second item down: Draft Horse Hunting/Trail

#14 ·
I almost always use a mounting block, when shopping for horses, I tested a few where I *had* to mount from the ground as the owner didn't have a mounting block and boy did I feel like an idiot struggling into the saddle. If you are using an English saddle, you can drop the one stirrup to it's maximum length to make getting on easier and then adjust it back up to proper length once you are mounted.

My one piece of advice, don't have a non-horsey person build you a mounting block. My well-intentioned hubby build the following for my quite short self.

The horse in the background is over 16hh, it's a great mounting block except..... um, it's taller than my 14.2hh gelding and stepping down onto a horse just doesn't work. It's great for holding a water bottle on hot days and it's currently bracing a loose fencepost. Completely useless as a mounting block and my hubby STILL doesn't understand why I use a small 2 step plastic one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.