The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   The selling of horses... (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/selling-horses-89051/)

Crossover 06-14-2011 12:42 PM

The selling of horses...

I was wondering...

For those in sales... what sale sites do you feel brings you the most legit buyers? What sites do you avoid?

For those horse searching... what sites do you like best, what ads are most likely going to catch your eye and what information do you like to know?

I'm just starting to sell and am researching.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 06-19-2011 07:09 PM

The 3 websites I have found that work the best for selling horses is Equine.com,Equinenow.com, and Dreamhorse.com. Those 3 are really the only ones I usually get responses from!(:

zurmdahl 06-19-2011 07:35 PM

I always use equine.com, I sold my mare pretty quickly with it and also found my new horse with it! I'm not as big a fan of dreamhorse.com because the ads tend not to have pictures. Also, there may be some local websites that could help you, I know there are a few specifically for my area. You could try craigstlist as well, but I've never found anything good on it personally

Macslady 06-20-2011 08:59 PM

I have actually found 2 on Craigs List, 1 on Horseville, 1 on DreamHorse, 1 on a breeders website and one in the local newpaper. Craigslist isn't bad if you know what to look for and often they are the place to find decent horses that people can no longer afford and don't have the money to list on DreamHorse.

I listed on DH one time and I find that they tend to have lots of tirekickers.

MyLittleHunter 06-29-2011 05:44 PM

I've had good luck with dreamhorse.com and equine.com. I avoid craigslist like the plague. But there's a long story behind that involving something that happened to a friend. I found my horse Dallas on Dreamhorse.com and he's been a phenomenal show horse and partner.

I like ads with pictures and video. I want to know the horse's age, height, approximate weight, show experience, training level, reason for selling, etc. The more info the better for me.

livestoride 06-29-2011 06:07 PM

I searched dreamhorse, equine.com and agdirect when I was looking for my mare and found her on dreamhorse. I found our gelding on craigslist and he is perfect for my husband.

I look for picture ads, but the ad I bought Gem from didn't have any posted. Basic information - age, gender, height, if no picture then color is important to list. A basic paragraph highlighting the good points, but also listing some of the negatives which every horse has makes it seem more legit to me. A reason for selling is also helpful. Good luck!

IslandWave 06-30-2011 12:18 AM

I look for horses on equine.com, equinenow.com (have not had much success with this one), dreamhorse.com, and horseclicks.com. I choose these as my favorites because of their search engine that allows me to narrow down to search for horses in a close radius.

Of course, then I ended up finding my pony on Craigslist. =P

Crossover 06-30-2011 01:12 AM

Thank you guys for your input. I know the economy is difficult right now and there are a lot of horses available out there for pretty cheap. Just surprised that I've had almost no interest in my well trained mare even if she's older.

Macslady 06-30-2011 08:55 PM

Sadly it's the older ones that are passed over. Most people don't look at a horse and think that a 10 year old probably has close to another 20 years of good rideable life if taken care of. Most tend to look for the well trained 4 and 5 year old. Give me a horse in its teens that knows the way of the road and trail anytime.

StormvaleQHStud 07-02-2011 12:49 AM

We over in Australia mostly use cavalletti.com.au and horsezone.com.au and me personally I like to know all the basics and showing history if any, what kind of weight keeper it is for it's particular breed. Good photos or able to get photos emailed and a fairly good couple paragraphs on it. Bloodlines what it can/cannot do vices etc. As much as possible really. People here will still buy an older horse well trained for kids etc. I sold my ASH gelding who was 19yo at the time to a loving home and my 11yo dressage protege mare to that same home for $6000 both. But I sell all of mine usually with all their gear brushes rugs feed buckets etc so that helps a bit too. People don't like to pay a lot unless it's a decent stallion or such if theyre just going to go have to spend squillions on gear for it too. The only reason I paid so much for one of mine is because he is my stud lol. And quality broodmares I will also.
Posted via Mobile Device