The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/nutrena-empower-boost-worth-89081/)

laken316 06-14-2011 06:27 PM

Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it?

I just bought a new horse. I don't know much about him other than he is approximately 7-10 years old, Quarter Horse Cross, gelding, and he's relatively small in stature (about 15hh). He was very much underweight when I first brought him home about 2 months ago. I switched him over to Nutrena SafeChoice and gave him lots of hay. He's put on a good 75 pounds since then. He's gained a healthy level of body fat, but I need to help him put on some muscle without overworking him and burning off all weight I've just put on him. I've been riding him moderately 3-4 times a week for about an hour at a time. Mostly walking and trotting. I've also put him in the roundpen a little (though, he's not too good at lounging but we're working on it)... So I was thinking about adding Nutrena Empower Boost to his daily feed? What do you guys think about it? Would this be good for muscle mass? Thanks...

christabelle 06-14-2011 06:31 PM

I gave this to a horse I bought that was way under weight and
Looked younger than she was, on my feed stores recommendation. It worked great. She filled out nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

laken316 06-15-2011 10:00 AM

Okay great. I asked my trainer and she said the same.. she said it's probably the best thing I can do for him right now besides regular exercise. Thanks :]

Peggysue 06-15-2011 10:23 AM

if you feed the recommended amount amount of Empower Boost you need to find a different form of calories that is NOT fortified like the Safe Choice is...it should work great for putting on muscle and keeping your boy healthy

mls 06-15-2011 10:54 AM

Our main feed is SafeChoice. For anyone that needs extra weight, we add the Empower.

W O N D E R F U L !

Peggysue 06-16-2011 09:05 PM

edited to correct the boost is the fat supplement I was CONFUSED again LOL

safe choice is NOT as safe as they make it out to be and is NOT a fixed formula so the ingredients can change every batch for whatever is cheaper at the given moment!!

anndankev 06-16-2011 09:18 PM

I used Boost over the winter for a hard keeper and it worked very well, I was trying to stay away from oats and corn the farmer had been feeding due to bird problems. In the spring I changed to a Nutrena 12% pellet and my gelding did well but the TB mare (the hard keeper) lost weight so I got one more bag of Boost just for her and it did the trick. Now they are on grass and just get a little 12% pellets in the evening.

Oh, over winter I did mix it with Nutrena Stock & Stable pellets just to give them a larger quantity. For her extra bag in the spring, just fed it alone to her. It must taste really good - Elwood was always after her bucket, had to stand guard.

Ray MacDonald 06-16-2011 09:21 PM

Don't know if anyone has noticed the big yellow box in Laken's first post???

Peggysue 06-17-2011 09:43 AM

you could also go with Manna Pro's Max E Glo same type of product at about HALF the price

Alwaysbehind 06-17-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1067559)
Don't know if anyone has noticed the big yellow box in Laken's first post???

Um yes, but I am not sure why you are pointing it out? All the posts here are answering the question.