The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique the possible buy (FREE HORSE!) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-possible-buy-free-horse-89127/)

lovestruck 06-15-2011 09:59 AM

Critique the possible buy (FREE HORSE!)

This guy is a 13 year old TB, well broke and 16.2 hh. He's FREE! I'm going to contact the seller later today to get some details. In the meantime, while I know this isn't the best picture, what do you think of his confo? It's the only picture available.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...5168imm_20.jpg

CecilliaB 06-15-2011 10:22 AM

Honestly...I'm not loving it. He's got an obvious ewe neck, don't like how his neck ties in at all, over at the knee, no real top line and is that a hunteres bump??

Speed Racer 06-15-2011 10:26 AM

Good eye Cecilia, that's definitely a hunter's bump.

Straight shoulder too, which means a very uncomfortable ride.

Not crazy about those shark fin withers, either. Gonna be hard to fit a saddle to those.

Free doesn't always equal bargain, OP. A badly put together horse eats just as much as one who's put together nicely, and the badly conformed one is more likely to have physical issues down the road.

However, if you like him and your personalities click, you might want to take a chance on him. Pretty is as pretty does in most cases.

flytobecat 06-15-2011 10:27 AM

He looks ok -why is he free?

equiniphile 06-15-2011 10:31 AM

Added to everything already mentioned, his back end could be a totally different horse than his front. Over at the knee like that is desired in racehorses, believing to increase sturdiness and longevity over years of pounding on the track. But, I still don't like him. His color is pretty much the only thing going for him.

Alwaysbehind 06-15-2011 10:32 AM

^ What she said.

mccylod 06-15-2011 10:39 AM

He does have some conformational issues. If you are seriously considering him, remember he might not be good for what you want to do with him. AND vet him out!!

Speed Racer 06-15-2011 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flytobecat (Post 1065857)
He looks ok -why is he free?

Fly, there are various reasons why horses are free.

I got this boy for free. Of course, he was just off the track so I spent $$$ getting him retrained, but other than that, he's a lovely sane, sound, calm horse.

JustDressageIt 06-15-2011 11:16 AM

Hmm - looks like they know how to take a conformation shot ... why did they cut off his pasterns and feet?
If he were brown, would you still like his conformation? His front end is pretty wonky all around.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-15-2011 11:17 AM

^ Feet cut off, and the picture is taken at an angle that makes him look severely downhill, when in reality he seems to be built pretty uphill.