The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What is a fast time for pole bending? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-fast-time-pole-bending-89162/)

kittersrox 06-15-2011 05:13 PM

What is a fast time for pole bending?

What is a fast time for pole bending? I just competed in a show today, and I ran 14 seconds doing poles, and I won the class. I'm really excited, as I've only practiced poles once this year, and I did so well. :-) Thank you!

crimson88 06-15-2011 05:20 PM

Are you sure you ran that time? The record for fastest pole bending run was in 2009 and recorded a 19.579 sec.

kittersrox 06-15-2011 05:51 PM

Really? Hm..Maybe the timer was messed up, because other people were getting 16.

kittersrox 06-15-2011 07:26 PM

Okay, I think I figured out why my time was 14 seconds. At the show, when we start the pattern we don't ride all the way down past the poles then turn at the last pole, and weave down, turn around, and weave back. Instead, we just weave down, and weave back. Perhaps that's why my time was 14 seconds?

Tennessee 06-15-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittersrox (Post 1066391)
Okay, I think I figured out why my time was 14 seconds. At the show, when we start the pattern we don't ride all the way down past the poles then turn at the last pole, and weave down, turn around, and weave back. Instead, we just weave down, and weave back. Perhaps that's why my time was 14 seconds?

Yup. That's a good possibility. Was this a 4H show by chance? I know some 4H shows run poles like that.

wild_spot 06-15-2011 11:11 PM

That's how we do it in Australia. Qualifying time for state is 12 secs. I once ran 10.18 on my good horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

kmdstar 06-15-2011 11:12 PM

I wish we ran poles like that up here! :( but times totally depend on the size of the arena, so you can't say a blank statement like "18 second is a good time" because without knowing the size of the arena you ran in/will be running in...you can't know what a good time would be.

Iseul 06-15-2011 11:20 PM

Our good times (that place) are normally in the 19-22 second range.
I was under that impression that poles were up, weave, weave, back and just weaving up and back was stakes..? That's what we go by anyway, we don't normally include both a stakes and a poles class though, it's usually one or the other.

And all the arena's I've been too (10 maybe) in the past year and this year, have all been the same size. The poles are set up (I think) 21? (that sounds huge..lol) or 12 feet apart consistently. But the point is that we use the standard pattern (I don't know the size, i wont lie haha) with every arena, even if it leaves us having to do a much tighter turn on both ends.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesdontlie 06-15-2011 11:20 PM

That time is good. On the California Gymkhana Association rating system you have FC, A, AA, AAA, AAA+ With FC being the slowest and AAA+ being the fastest. According to our timesheet you ran a AA time. Which is Average. It was a consistent run at a good pace.

Click here to see our rating Matrix

EDIT : The Event I have heard as Poles 1, and California Poles.

kittersrox 06-16-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee (Post 1066513)
Yup. That's a good possibility. Was this a 4H show by chance? I know some 4H shows run poles like that.

Yes, it was a 4H show. Also, the poles were 21 feet apart.