The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Extreme Makeover Trailer Edition, Ideas please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/extreme-makeover-trailer-edition-ideas-please-89193/)

Golden Horse 06-16-2011 01:58 AM

Extreme Makeover Trailer Edition, Ideas please

Earlier on I asked about buying a different trailer http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...-please-89140/ but another option is to makeover the one we have

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../12thJune6.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../12thJune9.jpg

The interior dimensions are 20' by 6'

There is a small side door up front.

I am fortunate to have both DH and DS who are both very handy, and we have all sorts of tools around so all things are possible.

Soo, give me your thoughts, plans and ideas to make this stock trailer into a perfect show trailer for 2 or 3 horses and all their needs:D

How big a tack, dressing room up front, how would you design the horse traveling space??

Ideas people please,

kitten_Val 06-16-2011 07:04 AM

Heck, how many horses do you have so you need such a huge one?! :shock: :D

I'm definitely not a handyman, but here what I'd do if I'd be one (and would have some budget of course).

First, cleaning/painting (in lighter color) both - inside and outside.

I can't tell from pic, but does it have mats on floor? That would be something nice to have.

I think it's already has separated "dressing room" (that part on front), correct? So painting + carpeting + couple saddle holders + bunch of tack hooks would make it a perfect one.

I'd also look into plexiglass for windows (for rain/cold weather) too.

Golden Horse 06-16-2011 11:32 AM

Well I do have a lot of horses, but only ever haul 1 or 2. We bought that trailer when we had the cows, and up until now I've had to share it, but now the cows have gone I feel totally stupid hauling Mr G, or him and one other in a great big trailer, which is why I was looking to maybe go to a smaller size.

The menfolk around here though are definitely on the 'bigger is better' view of life, so they would rather give it a makeover rather than sell it.

The floor is aluminum and my number one want is mats, I hate that floor as it is.

There is no dressing room yet, what you see up front is the gate to the space over the gooseneck, and that is my first question, how big should my dressing/tack room be?

Plexi glass will be added to the list for sure:wink:

horselvr 06-16-2011 01:57 PM

Here are my suggestions:

Sand Blast and repaint whole trailer (light color to keep heat down)
In nose section remove that little door and replace with a window for light (if one on both sides do on both sides.)
Section off the front and put an area of tack / living quarters. Install cabinents for storage and saddle racks / hooks. Install a furnace and hotwater tank if you want to really load it up. ( I just installed in ours and it was 650 for both online Ebay dealer) If you put in water add a sink to wash hands with and a cowboy shower in the back.
Carpet living quarters area
Put windows in the sections that are open to give extra light inside of the living quarters
Put a mattress in the nose to sleep or rest on.
Mats in the back
hay mangers for the horses

Do you want it to be a slant or strait load? If slant put up dividers so the horses have something to lean on and stablize themselves during the ride.

corinowalk 06-16-2011 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would probably start by making a 2 horse straight load. It would be easy enough to do without having to really do much structural changes. The back 2 horse stalls could be made into a nice sized dressing/tack/living quarters. I may be biased because the "HillBilly Deluxe" is a 2 horse straight with a really nice living quarters.

Not the prettiest thing ever but super functional.

The two stalls are big enough for a TB with deep mangers and tack storage below on both sides. Walk in the LQ and the kitchen is on the left. Just a counter, a stove top and a small sink. Little closet straight ahead and a 'couch' and the bed up in the GN. Works for us!

kitten_Val 06-16-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1067072)
There is no dressing room yet, what you see up front is the gate to the space over the gooseneck, and that is my first question, how big should my dressing/tack room be?

O-o... I see... Well that part, which goes over the truck and attached to the bed of truck can be used as storage too I assume (sorry not positive about how its called). I never dealt with goosenecks (to be honest my whole experience is just 2 BPs :wink: ), but I just saw one in park yesterday and that part was full of stuff: pads, bags, and whatever else - very convenient IMHO. Speaking of part you can walk in, mine I believe 4 ft wide or so (it's angled though because its slant). If you ever gonna camp you may want it big enough so you could sleep there.

Golden Horse 06-16-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 1067243)
I would probably start by making a 2 horse straight load. It would be easy enough to do without having to really do much structural changes.

:rofl: There is no logic in the world, while I'm happily looking at 2 horse straight load trailers, I'd never thought of turning the stock into one, and it does make an awful lot of sense, and I think it would the the easiest makover to do..

So why am I arguing to myself that it needs to carry 3 :think: just not logical Captain...

I''l have to measure up.

NdAppy 06-17-2011 01:26 AM

I am thinking it might be a tight fit for a two horse straight load after you put a divider in it.

Golden Horse 06-17-2011 01:45 AM

:rofl:, Mmmmmmmm you trying to say something about my starving ponies there Eh??

NdAppy 06-17-2011 01:47 AM

Erm Do I really want to answer that? Mine are just as starved as yours. lol >.<