The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   ankle pain when i ride english :( (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ankle-pain-when-i-ride-english-89210/)

Hunterjumper18 06-16-2011 11:29 AM

ankle pain when i ride english :(

Hey guys! I ride english and western but lately I haven't been able to ride english because my left ankle gets in so much pain. I think its because when I was younger I sprained it. But any way I want to start my 2 year old Tazz english so I really want to take care of the pain before hand and I was thinking that I need to do exercises to build up my strength and flexibility and that's where you guys come in. Does anybody know of any good exercises that I can do? Oh and idk if it makes a difference but when I ride western I have no pain at all. Its only when I ride english. Thanks guys!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

LynnF 06-16-2011 12:38 PM

One exercise that helps strech out your ankles is to stand with your toes on the edge of a stair/stool and then lower your heels down as far as possible without losing your balance, hold them there for a few seconds and then lift up onto the tips of your toes and hold that. Repeat this as often as possible. Another thing that might help with the pain is to get a set of stirrups that is flexible and bends down when you push your heels down. Something like these :
Dover Saddlery | MDC Super Sport Stirrups.
I had problems when I first started riding english with pain in my legs (due to an old injury) and these helped a ton!

LynnF 06-16-2011 12:39 PM

I forgot to add, the link I posted shows a very expensive pair because it was the only link I could find.. the ones I got were only $30 on sale!

Hunterjumper18 06-16-2011 12:45 PM

Thanks lynn! I will definitely check them out!
Posted via Mobile Device

EmilyandNikki 06-17-2011 07:40 AM

Start with longer stirrups in the english saddle and slowly bring them farther up.

I have ankle troubles except jumping length for some reason takes a lot of pressure off my ankle, so I learned to ride at this length and slowly stretched my leg down farther as my ankle toughened up and was more able to absorb the shock while stretched.

I have one for my tendon, you put marbles on the floor, pick them up with your toes, bring them over the length of a ruler(adjustable) and drop them in a small container or glass. I do this exercise sitting down. Also helps ligaments strengthen up.

Another thing I find works is walking. If I don't walk then I fins my ankle becomes worse, but a 2km walk every day stretches, works and just generally improves my ankle.