The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Moving to my house? NEED answers! HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/moving-my-house-need-answers-help-8923/)

HorsesAreForever 05-14-2008 11:36 AM

Moving to my house? NEED answers! HELP!

Okay well I talked to my aunt and she is willing to give chance the WHOLE [in stead of less then half] back yard so its more then 1/2 maybe a whole acre which would be for turn out and training and riding till I know I can trust her in the 100 acre area with out bolting and things. for hand grazing and things Im planning on letting her 'mow' the front lawn] We are gonna get a carpenter to build a stall type a thing where the shed is right now, Since theres only one horse would be become way to lonely? Im planning on spended a LOT of time with her when Im not working and we have a dog. This is only gonna be for the summer because Im only at her place during the summer then chance is going back to the barn im at now. If we do do this could I use round pen panels for fenceing? Shes really respectful of fences so im not to worried about that. Any tips would be sooo helpful right now im very excited but really nervous as well! What size should the stall be 12x12? worming... Idk how to figure that out my barn usually does it. I know I can get a ferrier when ever I need. Manure .... If I just picked out the stalls every day or a few times a day could I put it in a trash bag and the trash people take it away? Or do I need to find someone to take away a manure pile? I know someone said if you cover it with tarp or w.e it helps it decompose faster true or not because if it does I could always use the manure for fertilizer! please help!! any tips would be extremely helpful! Im so use to boarding lol can you tell. Which all I do there is help feed, clean stalls, wash horses, do stuff with my own horse, if needed i help with other horses.

appylover31803 05-14-2008 11:57 AM

you're going to need to check with the town to make sure horses are allowed at residential homes, and then see how many acres per horse you need. Some towns it might be 1 acre per horse, other's it might be 2 acres per horse.
Along with a farrier, you're going to need to have a vet. You're going to have to find a place to get hay, shavings and grain. You're going to need to store the hay shavings and grain also.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but you might have to take the plan to build a stall to zoning to get it approved. Again, i'm not sure on this.

Obviously along with having the horse, you're going to be in charge of everything! Also think about when she needs her shots. Are you going to have the vet come out every time she needs her shots?

Since horses are herd animals, they always do better with another one of their species. She could get lonely and/or bored, especially if you're in school and have other activities.
How much time do you think you'll be able to devote to her?

For Manure, i highly doubt you'll be allowed to leave it in a garbage bag for the garbage men to take. You'll have to either get someone to remove it or compost it.

I would also suggest you find out the last time she was wormed and with what wormer and how much she got. Find out what feed she's on and decide if you want to stick with the same feed or change it. If you change it, slowly introduce the new feed over a 10 day period would be good
Same thing goes with the hay. If you change too quickly she could colic.

Since you did say that you're going to stay with your aunt over the summer, and then return Chance when the summer's over, i'd be concerned that she'd get very stressed from moving all the time. Each time she changes places, she'll have to get used to it all over again.

Depending on if you want the fence to be permanent depends on what type of fencing you do. The metal fencing would be good as it is also easily able to move and store.
Wood fencing would be more permant, but if you're not going to keep Chance there all the time, i guess it wouldn't matter.

kickshaw 05-14-2008 12:34 PM

Good Post, Appylover,

I'd like to add:

There is a good chance your horse could get lonely. I would get it a goat or something else to keep it company :)

I would also recommend you make space for feed and hay in your shelter :)

...I wish my trash guys would take the manure!!! (but I believe you'll find out, there's probably too much of it anyways)

PoptartShop 05-14-2008 12:46 PM

Appy pretty much covered it! :D
I agree, Chance could get lonely. The dog might help prevent that, but then again, another animal wouldn't hurt! ;)

HorsesAreForever 05-14-2008 12:53 PM

i know we are only aloud 2 have 1 horse at our house. i found out where i can get hay and shavings. Thats why I want her at my house so I can be in charge of things. Im sure when i know how to give shots me or my aunt can do it. It will be during the summer when shes there so no school just work every few days but I can give her many hours if needed. Im wondering if my dog would be a good compainion for her. im planning on buying some things to hang in the stall and things she can play with in the feild. Shes been moved a lot in her life so its not really nedw 2 her. I think she will be fine as long as im there ill move her back on the weekend so i can be there for 2 days. were only gonna do it this summer MAYBE just to see how it goes, if it works out I may move to her house and have chance there perminatly. I think i might go with the metal fencing till i know whats going on.

appylover31803 05-14-2008 01:27 PM

You really have to see how the dog and horse will get along. Chance might view the dog as a predator (which in nature they are) and the dog might see Chance as prey (which in nature they are). And then any accidents that might come with it, Chance kicking the dog, the dog bitiing Chance. Is that worth it? I would also highly recommend that you supervise any time the dog is out with Chance, just for safety, but that's just me.

A goat or donkey or something would be a good companion as they could both romp around together.

Does your Aunt have any vet or vet tech experience? If she doesn't i highly suggest asking a vet to come out and showing you how to administer a shot. If done wrong you could really bad side effects.

Would you have your Aunt help you out if you had to work? Wasn't she the same one who wanted to keep a horse at her property but only 1/2 the backyard and you highly protested it? Now i know she'll have the full backyard, but that was just something i thought about.

All because she's moved a lot in her life does not mean that it's not stressful on her. Wouldn't you like to just find a place and stay there if you moved around a lot? Not to mention a horse has to adjust to their new place. Could take 1 day, could take 1 month or more. And the fact that she's going to be going from 175+ acres with a lot of horses down to about 1 acre with no other horses, that's a lot to adjust to.

When were you thinking of moving her to your Aunts?
When were you thinking of moving her back to your current place?

HorsesAreForever 05-14-2008 01:39 PM

Well at the barn Im at now they have 2 dogs that go in the feild and everything else But ya ill supervise. I was thinking about a goat but idk what my aunt would say. My aunt has no vet exsperiance so Ill have the vet show me how to give the shots and where to put it ect Ill probably have the vet do it the first few times. Ill be with chance from the morning till 5 which is when I head out to work and I will get back there around 9:30. Id make sure she is fed and watered before I left, she will probably be put in the stall with all the entertainment stuff lol. Ya this is the one that wanted to only give her less then half. I finally talked her into all the back yard. The yard is big enough. for her to canter around and things, I think shes also clearing out the back woods before we move her in there so it will be bigger then that, Idk when im going up there next but Ill see if I can take some pictures maybe. Ill ask when shes getting rid of the back woods because once she gets rid of that it should be an acre or more. Ya I know its a lot for her we'll see how it goes. I was planning on moving her in about a month or so it depends when the stall gets done along with some of the woods. and I wouldnt be moving her back till school starts. Which is in September.

kickshaw 05-14-2008 02:03 PM

i don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but why would you put your horse through the stress of moving, only to move her again in a few months ???? Is there anyone that could feed if you weren't able to? Going on any vacations?

Just curious - :)

HorsesAreForever 05-14-2008 02:05 PM

during the summer ya there people up the road who have a horse, but she will be going back to the other barn because i wont be living at that house during the school year this is really just to see if it would be good to have her there.

appylover31803 05-14-2008 02:10 PM

I have to say, I agree with Kickshaw.

The reason why Tom and I didn't move our horses earlier this year is because we knew we were going to move into a house, and we didn't want them to be so stressed out. Since they're going to move in mid June, and then hopefully never moved again (if we buy the house) they obviously won't be stressed out.

I know it seems like a great idea, but there's a lot that goes into moving horses. Trust me because i'm going to go through it, and already i'm stressing out!

btw, Tom and I have been thinking about this for over a year now.
Sometimes it's always good to not rush into things and to have a clear head.