The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   what oil to use for english boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/what-oil-use-english-boots-89259/)

Angel_Leaguer 06-17-2011 08:44 AM

what oil to use for english boots

My boyfriend and mother got me a really nice pair of leather English boots for my birthday. I was wondering type of leather cleaner works best to keep them in good shape. I have never owned a real leather pair (ya for synthetic when on a tight buget) so I want to make sure I take care of them correctly.

Thanks!

Manni01 06-17-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel_Leaguer (Post 1067865)
My boyfriend and mother got me a really nice pair of leather English boots for my birthday. I was wondering type of leather cleaner works best to keep them in good shape. I have never owned a real leather pair (ya for synthetic when on a tight buget) so I want to make sure I take care of them correctly.

Thanks!

I only use KIWI shoe polish on my boots. Itprotects the leather and makes them shiny...

gigem88 06-17-2011 09:41 AM

I use mink oil on my boots to soften them. I use Leather CPR on my show saddles.

Hidalgo13 06-17-2011 03:14 PM

I heard great stuff about Kiwi shoe polish. I have mink oil to condition mine and it really makes them nice and soft, but not really shiny or anything, so I am going to buy some Kiwi shoe polish soon. I think it's your safest bet.

countercanter 06-27-2011 02:37 PM

Any leather oil, cleaner, or conditioner will work. Make sure you don't just polish your boots but that you oil/condition them too.

VelvetsAB 06-27-2011 08:33 PM

Kiwi boot polish is just that...boot POLISH. It is what guys and girls in the military (and air/sea/army cadets) use on their boots to shine them up and make them parade ready. Boot polish is not really intended to condition the leather, but just give them a shine,a bit of waterproofing, and help restore the appearance of the leather. I repeat, it is NOT a leather conditioner.

On my tall boots, I use the same stuff that gets used on my tack...a cleaner and conditioner in one. Personally, I probably wouldn't use boot polish on my boots, as I would worry about not being able to condition them properly with the polish on them.

(And for those of you who are about to use it...spit works much better then water--for helping to smear the polish...over the boot with the yellow cloth. Breathing on the boot also helps warm the polish up, making it easier to rub in. Also, always polish in the same motion. If you go clockwise, always go clockwise, or you start to take polish off, instead of put on. The more layers, the easier it will be to get the shine in them later down the road. If you get a scuff in your boot, you will be better of smudging a bit of polish over the "injured area" and using a boot brush, go back and forth over it quickly to heat it up. This will fill in the gap, but might need to be done a few times. Once the area is the same level as the rest of the boot, commence polishing as usual.)

Also if you are going to use polish, make sure that your boots have absolutely no dirt on them before you start to polish. Otherwise you are just going to get swipe marks all over your boots, and thats just ugly.

HollyBubbles 06-28-2011 05:34 AM

I use beeswax on any of my leather, it brings out a really good shine as well as softening them, but if you use that then make sure you get the natural stuff, no extra crap in it.

And neatsfoot oil. That stuff is designed for leather.

I don't use polish on any of my leather, to be honest I don't see the point because my beeswax or neatsfoot oil polishes the leather enough.

Angel_Leaguer 06-28-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the help!!! Sadly my boots will be going into storage until next show season due to an injury to my horse but I will be ready to go when next spring rolls around :)

Hidalgo13 06-28-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Kiwi boot polish is just that...boot POLISH. It is what guys and girls in the military (and air/sea/army cadets) use on their boots to shine them up and make them parade ready. Boot polish is not really intended to condition the leather, but just give them a shine,a bit of waterproofing, and help restore the appearance of the leather. I repeat, it is NOT a leather conditioner.

On my tall boots, I use the same stuff that gets used on my tack...a cleaner and conditioner in one. Personally, I probably wouldn't use boot polish on my boots, as I would worry about not being able to condition them properly with the polish on them.

(And for those of you who are about to use it...spit works much better then water--for helping to smear the polish...over the boot with the yellow cloth. Breathing on the boot also helps warm the polish up, making it easier to rub in. Also, always polish in the same motion. If you go clockwise, always go clockwise, or you start to take polish off, instead of put on. The more layers, the easier it will be to get the shine in them later down the road. If you get a scuff in your boot, you will be better of smudging a bit of polish over the "injured area" and using a boot brush, go back and forth over it quickly to heat it up. This will fill in the gap, but might need to be done a few times. Once the area is the same level as the rest of the boot, commence polishing as usual.)

Also if you are going to use polish, make sure that your boots have absolutely no dirt on them before you start to polish. Otherwise you are just going to get swipe marks all over your boots, and that's just ugly.

This was very helpful Velvet thanks. :)

Jumper4ever 07-12-2011 12:28 PM

I've heard a rumor that a lot of polishes eat away at the stitching so I have become a strong believer in olive oil. It makes leather really soft and shingy and it also smells good :P