The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Manure smoking? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/manure-smoking-89270/)

Ray MacDonald 06-17-2011 12:06 PM

Manure smoking?

I was just cleaning out the horse and dumping the manure into our wagon that we have and its smoking? Like legit smoking... Is that bad?

Speed Racer 06-17-2011 12:07 PM

Manure can self combust, so yes, if it's smoking quite a bit you need to dump and spread it as soon as you can.

That's one of the reasons people turn their manure piles, too. To keep it from spontaneously combusting.

JustDressageIt 06-17-2011 12:12 PM

Yes, as SR said, the pile can combust. Manure underneath heats up and can start to smoulder, then catch fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 06-17-2011 12:15 PM

Just want to throw in another, "Yes, it can cause a fire." Hope you can figure out something to do soon!

Ray MacDonald 06-17-2011 12:22 PM

Well... Thats not good! We have the manure pile down the field that my dad pushes around. We have a wagon the we load up (it is right by the barn) That is what is smoking. There isn't much in it, it was dumped (to the big pile) a few days ago (it can hold at least 2 weeks of mucking out)

Right now my mom and dad are coming home for a trip today, they were gone for 3 days... Good thing they are coming home today!

Should I move it around with a shovel or rake?

Speed Racer 06-17-2011 12:24 PM

What's the outside temperature where you are, Ray? If the air is colder than the manure, it can produce condensation that looks like smoke.

Yes, spread it out a little more with your rake if you're concerned.

Ray MacDonald 06-17-2011 12:30 PM

12.4 degrees. It is warmer than yesterday. Its the manure that was dumped yesterday and the day before.

Speed Racer 06-17-2011 02:41 PM

Okay, so it's around 57 degrees Fahrenheit, which is pretty chilly.

When you put manure on top of manure, it's very easy for it to retain heat. Add in cooler day time temps than the manure, and you can get steam.

Alwaysbehind 06-17-2011 02:59 PM

My pile frequently has steam coming out of it in the AM.

I would guess in the case you are describing it is steam, like SR said.

mls 06-17-2011 03:22 PM

Composting horse manure

Very good article

Manure and Pasture Management for Recreational Horse Owners