The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Home made side reins? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/home-made-side-reins-89278/)

donatellodemerlieux 06-17-2011 01:32 PM

Home made side reins?

Don't ask for my reason for having them, because it doesn't matter. They just tend to be useful every once in a while. For more reason than one, I cannot buy an actual pair of side reins right now. Anybody know how to make some home made ones that have no chance of hurting my horses? I was thinking binder-twine, but I think that could rub against his skin and hurt. Ideas?

Alwaysbehind 06-17-2011 01:33 PM

What kind of side reins are you thinking?

gigem88 06-17-2011 01:40 PM

If you want sliding reins (Vienna reins), parachute cord works well. Just attach snaps at either end and viola!

donatellodemerlieux 06-17-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1068176)
What kind of side reins are you thinking?

To lunge with? Like the type you attach to the bit and the girth (or surgincle)

Alwaysbehind 06-17-2011 01:44 PM

There are many types though.

I like gigem's idea.

donatellodemerlieux 06-17-2011 01:48 PM

It doesn't really make much of a difference for what i'm doing I think. Thanks though! gotta see if I have any of those to pull out. any other ideas?

Endiku 06-17-2011 02:53 PM

I also like the parachute string for side reins. I made some vienna reins for my miniature horse out of it (since you can't find them for minis!) and it works really well. I also made a pair with nylon, but didn't like it as much.

x Bustie and Alli x 06-17-2011 03:41 PM

an old pair of normal reins could work too. Do them up normally at the bit end then tie the other end of each to the surcingle loops. Its probs easier if the reins are very flexible.

Sapphire 06-18-2011 03:07 PM

Use something elasticated, so that there's a bit of give in it, rather than something that's going to go taut and force the horse into an awkward position.

SaddleDragon 06-18-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphire (Post 1068993)
Use something elasticated, so that there's a bit of give in it, rather than something that's going to go taut and force the horse into an awkward position.

^^^Yes. You can get bungee cords for dirt cheap and just add them to regular reins. That way you can let the horse have some give. I would never use 'solid' side reins, it invites problems.