The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   passenger on horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/passenger-horse-89286/)

Hidalgo13 06-17-2011 03:35 PM

passenger on horse

I get what that means, to be a passenger on a horse, but I don't know how you see it.
This doesn't make much sense, but I can see when someone is really not a passenger, but cannot see it completely when they are. Sometimes I'll sort of have a feeling that it's the case, and then someone will mention that it is, but just curious about how you can conclude if someone really is one. What are elements you see that make really know??

Sort of an odd question, and I don't know if it's just because I am tired here, but please answer if you can. :D I am going now to take a nap before I study for my two last exams. :cry:

gigem88 06-17-2011 04:01 PM

To me it means a rider that is not engaging their horse. No collection, bending or other exercises. For example, my husband is a passenger when he rides. He just sits on the horse, steers him in a direction and the horse goes. The horse knows my husband isn't really riding and my husband knows he isn't really riding, but they get where they're going and everyone is happy! Thanks goodness it's an older 'been there done that' QH gelding and his favorite speed is stop! I can't be a passenger on my Arabians, they think too much.

GeminiJumper 06-18-2011 05:38 PM

Being a passenger is like when you go on a trail ride and you kind of just let the horse take the lead--you don't do much steering, influencing or communicating.

Except, usually a passenger-type-rider doesn't realize it because they really don't know what "riding" a horse means. They're just along for the ride.

People who are passengers on their horses are ones who don't use their legs, seats or hands to influence the horse.

TaMMa89 06-18-2011 05:59 PM

I see it kinda that way too - they don't try to affect on the horse any way otherwise except perhaps steering a bit or asking to change the gait every now and then.

kitten_Val 06-19-2011 12:11 AM

I call it when horse (and not a rider) is in charge of the ride. BTW, I do let a horse be at some point on trail ride when we both just relax.

Hidalgo13 06-19-2011 12:15 AM

Ok I see. Lol I knew it was basically all that, but at the same time I thought it was much more complicated. :P Thanks everyone.

tinyliny 06-19-2011 12:22 AM

Hidalgo, this is not a silly question. I think you often come up with good questions, and this is a good one.

I liked all the answers and I was thinking how I could answer different, or add more. Hm m m m. I got it!

To me, a rider is a passenger when they are not in a "feedback" loop with the horse. A feedback loop means that the rider applies a cue, the horse "feeds back" a response which the rider percieves, and thus stops cueing, so horse stops action. It's a dialogue of speaking and listening and it applies to seat, hands, reins, speed, direction , attitude and more. All of these parts of riding are constantly in flux. They can go up or down, more or less, faster/slower, and this is up to the rider to initiate the horse to respond and then the rider to respond to that response and so on . .. a loop of communication.

A passenger is just going along oblivious to the loop, neither speaking to the horse nor listening. They may make a lot of "noise" with their seat and hands by being unable to control them , thus they make inadvertant signals to the hrose, but since they also don't "listen" to the feedback from the horse, the horse soon learns to tune out any noise the passenger makes.

So the rider is oblivious to the hrose and the horse willfully tunes out the rider.

Hidalgo13 06-19-2011 12:32 AM

Ah thank you tiny. :) That was indeed a nice addition to my comprehension. :)

Spyder 06-19-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidalgo13 (Post 1069389)
Ah thank you tiny. :) That was indeed a nice addition to my comprehension. :)

I use that expression a lot.

You will see this type of rider mostly on school horses. There is a time in a rider's career when being a passenger is just fine. When they haven't the confidence to truly ride or are very new to riding. Through GOOD instruction the rider learns to take command and slowly they gain enough confidence to start deciding what they want, how to get it and have the ability to make it happen.

Then they can start RIDING.

Hidalgo13 06-19-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

I use that expression a lot.
Lol, I didn't know it was an expression actually. I just blurbed out what came through my head. :P