The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What should I do with her mane?!

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ponyjocky 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a question... My horse Chick's mane is crazy. Its way poofy and thick, but not frizzy. I ride western, but I will probably be getting into dressage and hunt seat equitation. What I'm asking is, what should I do with her mane at shows?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you comb the mane straight up and cut with a barber's thinning sheers to about 4 ". Hold the hair straight above the crest of the neck. It takes some time and probably some practice, but when you are done the mane reminds me of a yearlings mane all cute and stands up a little like a baby's. Of course you cannot show in upper levels with it that way, but most schooling shows that is fine. That is how i cut my boy's mane when I compete in combined driving

#4 ·
Hmm, well now I have a horse I ride in dressage shows, so I'm only gonna show her western now, any ideas?

#5 ·
Although a few horses show western with a banded long mane, the most accepted practice is to cut it short, pull it if needed, and then band with small, even bands. I personally hate to band, but when I showed circuit it was necessary.

You can google how to band and then practice, practice until you can get small, tight, neat bands. Cover with a slinky after you are done, and then when you pull it off your horse will look very tidy. A good band really shows off a horse's neck...

#6 ·
I agree with what's been said. Blunt cut it 3-5 inches, get one of those thinning blades, even it out with that, wet her mane, band it, and put her in a sleazy the night before the show.

Something ive learned to do for hunters, I flip the mane onto the other side, cut it, and flip it back over. It looks super natural, and it's so quick and easy rather than dealing with pulling, and evening out. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Thanks so much guys! I did what DejaVu said and I'll post some pics after the show :) I think it looks great!

#9 ·
Cut it straight across so it is as long as the mane near her withers and thin it. In hunt seat and dressage it will look very sloppy if you do not. Even at smaller shows, i think it shows respect to a discipline to have your horse turned out nicely.

whiskers clipped, ear hair trimmed, legs clean, tail cut straight across, properly braided...

not to mention it will actually be very hard to braid a mane that long, there is no chance of it coming out neat. I've tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.