The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm a pretty proud instructor today :)

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  newhorsemom 
#1 ·
I just love it when students take homework seriously! I am super proud and excited to see where this one goes as a rider.

One of my beginners, she is 10 & has a pair of Haffie's that were driven as a team and the older mare was plow-rein farm broke.

In less than 1 year with a 10 yr old rider she has learned to neck rein, back, pick up the correct leads and collect herself. I've not gotten on her back once.

The last 2 weeks we have been drilling showmanship pretty hard. The pony had NO turn, she was hard pressed to move out of your space. She had been a pet for the majority of her life before her current owners. So homework was to work on moving her shoulder and turning. Today I gave her a big challenge pattern with 2 - 90's & a 360. She NAILED it!

She has also started riding hunt seat just this last month, today worked an Eq pattern, got every diagonal, hit her switches in the middle and a flying lead change. Plus 5 laps around my outdoor (150 x 300) in 2 pt and didn't have to put her hands on her neck. My old out of shape behind would be hard pressed to do that these days!

I am beyond floored at the grit and determination of this little rider. I think that next year I may offer to lease her one of my personal horses she is doing so well and will soon be much more of a rider than her pony is capable of doing justice. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Congratulations!

I agree with Ricci though, you must be doing something right! She may have never bloomed under another trainer. Kudos to you and whatever you're doing!

#7 ·
That is wonderful MHF, that must make you glow :) There are instructors out there who some of us click with, and some of us don't.

It takes that 1 way of how things come across, that helps make the light bulb go on - sounds like this is the start of a beautiful relationship :) All the best to you both!

#8 ·
As an instructor myself I know the pride you must feel! Congrats on really working well with this rider and helping her be all she really can be and keep up the hard work! Eq patterns are a great learning tool, I use them as well.

I just get a warm fuzzy feeling and goofy smile when I see or hear about students really doing well, you must too. Makes the job more then worth it!
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Thanks, MIE! Though I make my real living breeding & training, I take on a handful of students because I really enjoy working with kids....at least until they are teenagers lol!

Thanks Zeke! I love hearing kid success stories too, it definitely gives me the warm fuzzies too :) I judge a lot of 4-H shows also & I love seeing the littlest ones with the biggest smiles & determination most adults don't have.

I may ask her mom if I can post pics after her fair shows next month...I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have the champ jr showman on my roster :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Congrats! You have to be very proud as a trainer by her achievements! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.