The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   I need to turn my toes in!! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/i-need-turn-my-toes-89362/)

donatellodemerlieux 06-18-2011 03:53 PM

I need to turn my toes in!!

Okay, so I have a problem. Whenever I jump, or basically whenever I ride, although its more of an issue when I ride, I turn my toes out! I have really badly bowed legs, so it's nearly physically impossible to keep those in without being sore later. Any tips? I've been told to start wrapping my ankles, but is there a specific way to do this so that they stay turned in? I need help!

Golden Horse 06-18-2011 04:13 PM

I've struggled for years with trying to keep my toes turned in, but then found out what I really needed to do was turn my whole leg in, now it's possible that everyone else in the world knew that, but it really really helped me,

Now when my trainer is turn that toe in, I concentrate on doing it from the hip down, rather than from the knee down, and it's an awful lot easier.

donatellodemerlieux 06-18-2011 04:19 PM

Never thought of that... Although wouldn't that make me brace in my knees more?

ErikaLynn 06-21-2011 09:45 AM

If you're comfortable and your riding isn't hindered by having your toes turned out. Then just keep riding like that. If you're uncomfortable by forcing your toes in, then you won't be able to concentrate on the more important stuff.

acp723 06-21-2011 01:36 PM

i have had this same problem. What I did was work without stirrups, focusing on keeping my toes in, but the main thing that really helps is just riding while keeping your foot in the correct position. it sounds really simple and time consuming, but if you practice like this and get your foot used to this position, you'll eventually get the feel for it and your feet will naturally turn in in the stirrups! I have bowed legs too and turning my feet in used to be very painful. Just get your trainer to remind you to keep your feet turned in while you ride! it's a slow process, but it worked for me.

VelvetsAB 06-21-2011 03:34 PM

As long as you aren't riding off of the back of your calf, having toes out is not really a big deal.

Some people naturally toe out a bit even when they are standing on their own two feet. It is just how they are put together.

MyBoyPuck 06-21-2011 04:57 PM

Sounds your toe problem is actually in your hip. Next time you sit in the saddle, take your leg off, pull the "meat" off the inside of your thighs and put the leg back into place. Getting the excess thigh out of the way will automatically rotate your hip inward a hair which will trickle down to your knee and finally toe rotating the entire leg to a more forward position. You'll have to keep stopping and readjusting at first, but eventually it should become muscle memory.

ponyboy 06-21-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1072096)
Some people naturally toe out a bit even when they are standing on their own two feet. It is just how they are put together.

Human conformation is so often overlooked.

I have this problem too - I find that it's worse when riding wide horses.

raywonk 06-21-2011 10:26 PM

I have my kids sit in a chair when you sit do you let your hips spread to the side which pulls your knees and toes out or keep your hips pointed forward.
Someone already gave you one way to pull your hips forward. I have another. Stand up and rotate your leg out and into your horse one and then the other.
You had asked if it would make you pinch your horse. No it will not it will make you naturally hold were it should.

Eliz 06-21-2011 10:56 PM

What Velvet said.

As long as you have a nice, draping leg and aren't gripping with the inside of your calf you're fine. One way to check this is to see if your knee is touching the saddle. Not gripping with your knee, but making light contact with the leather.

Actually, I was taught that a 45 degree toe angle is actually desired.

ETA: I once struggled with gripping with my inner calf; the problem quickly went away when I relaxed in my heel instead of it "locking up" and being forced down. You can't really have a too-grippy leg if your weight is relaxed into your heels.

Good luck!