The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Its me again, shedding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/its-me-again-shedding-89455/)

Love8186 06-19-2011 05:23 PM

Its me again, shedding

When does shedding usually stop? I haven't owned my horse that long and it's my first horse, she's shedding to the point the when I pet her small globs of hair come off, is this normal?
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 06-19-2011 05:28 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but even in Canada the horses should be close to being done with their shedding for the summer.

I know it's winter in OZ and New Zealand, so shedding now isn't likely for them.

smrobs 06-19-2011 05:30 PM

That sounds pretty normal for a typical shedding horse; however, what concerns me is that your horse is still shedding when it's nearing the first of July. All of my horses (even the old ones and one that is battling illness) are completely shed out and some of them have been for a couple of months.

If you don't mind me asking, what general part of the world are you located in?

Love8186 06-19-2011 05:33 PM

I live in California and my horse is older she's 18. Could it be the fly spray I'm using?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rachel1786 06-19-2011 05:34 PM

my old guy who is in his mid 30's is still shedding out, he's just about done tho, my other 2 horses have been shed out since may-ish

Speed Racer 06-19-2011 05:38 PM

Love, it's not feasible your fly spray has anything to do with your horse still shedding huge clumps of hair.

You said she's 18 y/o; have you had her checked for Cushings or insulin resistance? Either of those can cause late shedding, and the shedding in ragged clumps that you're seeing.

smrobs 06-19-2011 05:43 PM

Agree, I seriously doubt that your fly spray has anything to do with it.

In addition to the Cushings/IR that Speed mentioned, when was the last time that he was de-wormed?

Love8186 06-19-2011 05:59 PM

I just de wormed her this month. There not big clumps. Does she maybe just need something in her supplement for skin?
I wish I knew someone who could come help me out a little. What is Ir and cushings
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 06-19-2011 06:14 PM

Do you board, or do you know an experienced horse person with whom you can speak?

Not being able to see the horse, we really can't give you anything except ideas for what might be wrong with her, if anything.

Here are some articles on insulin resistance and Cushings. They're related conditions, but not all IR horses will get Cushings.

Insulin Resistance in Horses - Management and Warning Signs of Laminitis.

Cushing's syndrome in horses (equine), treatments and pain relief with Recovery eq

Love8186 06-19-2011 06:33 PM

Ok well thanks, I don't currently no anyone I used to. I looked at the websites u sent me and she doesn't have the symptoms of either one of those things.
Posted via Mobile Device