The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   Bull Riding - Can minors ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/bull-riding-can-minors-ride-89470/)

MacabreMikolaj 06-19-2011 07:46 PM

Bull Riding - Can minors ride?

I'm not sure if it differs from Canada to the US, but can minors ride bulls in ANY circumstances or are they restricted to steers?

Weird question, some kid on Facebook is claiming he rides bulls at 16 because if you have the "right height and build and parent consent" it's allowed, and I didn't think it was. He also has dozens of photos up showing some skinny little nerd in glasses, and only ONE photo of a bull rider that is blatantly not him as far as I'm concerned.

I hate liars, LMAO. There's a chance he's telling the truth, but he goes to school in the city and I've never in my life heard of a rodeo kid born and raised in a capital city. Just seems fishy to me.

A knack for horses 06-19-2011 08:01 PM

They put kids younger than that on steers.

I think the law varies by state, but I know that any minor that participates in bull riding is required to wear protective gear (Helmets, mouthgaurds, vests, etc.)

MacabreMikolaj 06-19-2011 08:20 PM

That's what I thought. The one pic up has no protective gear, just a cowboy hat and potentially a vest. He DOES have one blurry photo that obviously IS him on a steer in a lowkey ring with full body protection and helmet, and the most god awful position you've ever seen - you can tell he hit the ground fast first right after it was snapped, his feet are almost at the steer's tail.

It drives me nuts when people feel it necessary to lie.

bubba13 06-19-2011 11:07 PM

I know of places that will allow it with parental permission. I think safety gear (helmet and vest) may also be required, but I think that is at the association/arena's discretion, and not a legal thing.

tbstorm 06-19-2011 11:52 PM

my cousin has been competing since he was 12 he just moved onto bulls from steers this year at the age of 16

kevinshorses 06-20-2011 12:45 AM

Any kid that is in high school can ride a bull in the National High School Rodeo Association with parent consent and a vest. I don't think that a helmet is required. Many bull riders come from the city and are not cowboys so much as they are athletes and don't necessarily have any experience with cows or horses apart from what they get in the rodeo arena.

MacabreMikolaj 06-20-2011 01:26 AM

Thanks kevinshorses. It's just really unheard of around here - the people associated with rodeo are strictly country people, and farm raised kids. I don't think I've met a rider or kid on our local circuit who live anywhere near the city. :lol:

maura 06-20-2011 05:16 AM

I've been to some high school rodeos around here, and yes the kids are riding bulls. I will say that they're small, young, bulls, not NFR quality bulls, but they're still pretty good buckers. All the kids I've seen are wearing vests and helmets with the face guards, but I have no idea if it's a requirement or somethign they choose to do

perfectcountrygirl 07-31-2011 09:34 PM

Yes, my boyfriend is 17 and rides bulls in the highschool rodeo & compeated in the national highschool rodeo finals last year.

beau159 08-01-2011 10:42 PM

Yup. High school rodeo!

And in my state (North Dakota) there are rodeo associations that have Jr. Bull Riding too. But that does vary from state to state and based on the individual organization or association.