The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with Identifying your Saddle's maker (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-identifying-your-saddles-maker-89488/)

tinyliny 06-20-2011 01:05 AM

Help with Identifying your Saddle's maker

Lots of times people come into possession of a nice older saddle that they have no idea of the maker. Usually, saddles have the maker's MARK in some location on the saddle. Many English saddles have the maker's mark on the sweat flap or on the girth buckle protectors, or on a metal tab attached near where the stirrup bars are.

Western saddle may have the maker's mark on the latigo keeper or on the skirt, front or back center or both.

This website has many older ("vintage") saddle maker's marks photographed with descriptions of the companies and their products.
A great resource!

Vintage Antique Saddlery and Gun Leather Company Histories and Maker Marks: D,E,F,G - www.vintagegunleather.com California

corinowalk 06-20-2011 01:19 AM

Don't forget that some saddles are actually marked on the fenders. I've bought two, what were advertised as 'no name' saddles which were actually Tex-Tans...they stamp on the fender! *laugh*

Savvy Debonair 06-20-2011 05:30 AM

Agreed with Corinowalk! I bought a "un-branded" saddle, that was actualy a Jorge Canaves! Stamped under it's flap!

tinyliny 06-24-2011 04:49 PM

Yes. Please add this info. I wasn't sure of all the locations for stamps. I am new to western riding. The Jorge Cana /? is a good saddle? I don't know the big names in western saddlery.

Savvy Debonair 06-24-2011 10:41 PM

The Jorge Canaves is a wonderful saddle, but it's a jumping style english saddle :). It's lovely and would recommend this saddle!

equiniphile 06-25-2011 05:52 PM

On this topic, I've been using my dad's old Western saddle for Lenox, and found that it's marked "Buford Saddlery." Anyone know anything about them? I did some research online, and actually came up with this thread by someone on Horseforum. The pictures in post 6 show the exact same saddle that I'm talking about!

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...addlery-33985/

Saddlebag 06-26-2011 12:28 PM

I have also found numbers on the near-side skirt up under the fender. If a saddle is unidentifiable that is because it usually had small flaws. The flaws didn't affect use but the maker didn't want to be identified. Stores often got a much better deal on these. Some retailers insist on the makers not puting their logo on but that of the retailer. The name that appears is actually a store.

tinyliny 06-27-2011 12:13 AM

I immediately thought that the Buford Saddlery would by a Bona Allen product. Good Saddle. Got a photo?

equiniphile 06-28-2011 01:21 PM

I like it, my mom hates it. There's a video of it on my equiniphile youtube channel, called "Lenox's First Show" or something.

corinowalk 06-28-2011 01:54 PM

Tinyliny's guess wasn't far off. Buford Saddlery was a small, local company in what they call the 'leather capital of the world', Buford Georgia. Bona Allen is based there. Most likely, Buford saddlery and Bona Allen worked together. The style that I have seen certainly is very similar. They are nice, well built saddles.