The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   NC- Looking for SAFE large pony/smaller horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/nc-looking-safe-large-pony-smaller-89502/)

LetAGrlShowU 06-20-2011 08:49 AM

NC- Looking for SAFE large pony/smaller horse

I am in the market for a new horse. I would preferably like to find a safe large pony for my daughter to grow into, but my other gelding is safe enough that I could let her ride him, and i'd take on the new horse.

Requirements:
13h-15h
gelding/mare
non gaited
Safe, sane, sound

Ready to pay up to $800 up front, or up to $2000 if someone would take payments.

Nothing with too much spirit or high strung. I'm looking for a QH laid back personality, but breed isnt much of a concern. Hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

lilkitty90 06-22-2011 01:32 AM

my mom was possibly willing to part with our little 4 year old mare, while 4 years old sounds young she's definitely the broke, laid back kind, my 11 year old sister rides her and she's never really rode before, and she's also the horse we toss all the people who don't know how to ride, and even when she speeds it up she's still the slowest of the bunch.

i'll talk to my mom and see if she is still considering selling.

what part of NC do you live in? you may be nearby.. lol

LetAGrlShowU 06-22-2011 08:09 AM

Thank you for the offer. Four is too young for me to consider, no matter how broke. The way I look at it is - a child gets scared more easily than an adult. Why? Because they have less years on this earth to learn about things. I wouldnt want anything younger than 6. I am near Charlotte though. If you can keep an ear out for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

lilkitty90 06-22-2011 09:17 AM

ok, hey i completely understand that, just have never looked at it that way before! there is a guy up near asheville i believe that breeds and raises paints, and he is who i got my 4 year old off of, i'll get his number for you. in the mean time there are auctions around that i go to every weekend with horses that are so broke, and go for pennies if you would want to consider an auction horse.

LetAGrlShowU 06-22-2011 09:24 AM

Can you tell me how that works? Is it like luck of the draw? Is the a probability horses are drugged to appear calmer, etc?

lilkitty90 06-22-2011 10:55 AM

honestly, the sale i go to starts at 5, and they sale tack and stuff, all the horses are in the barn and out side, and you can test ride them and pet them and get to know their personalities, you can buy them outside the ring, usually for a high price , but then you know you are getting them, or you can wait and see what they go for in the ring, but with that other people will be bidding and you may not win if the price goes out of your price range, but usually it's cheaper in the ring. sometimes people do drug the horses, but there are alot of good people there as well and if you ask the right people or take someone really horse savvy with you they can point you in the right direction on who drugs, and which horses are drugged or not.

frankly last friday when i went there was a lttle buckin mare there, and i swear she was drugged, because of how she was carrying herself. BUT it was because her rider was WAY to big for the little gal, causing her to look drunk and dizzy. but there are tons of kid safe horses, again last friday there was a 17 h TB with a little 2-6 year old riding it around all over the place, the poor girl's legs didn't even reach half way down the gelding's sides lol, just bring someone with you and do not rush into a buy, there are plenty of horses and if the ones there arn't perfect then don't bid, just keep waiting and watching and one will eventually come along.

Iseul 06-22-2011 05:27 PM

How far are you looking to go for the horse..? There's a paint gelding at my barn that is a great lesson horse and I believe he's for sale for $1000..I'm not sure if you're want to drive up to Pennsylvania (around Pittsburgh), but he's definitely a beginner horse and loves children. He's definitely what I would consider a babysitter.
I can't say for sure that BO would sell him for less than a thousand, but if it were me I would drop his price $200 for a good home where he'll be used. *shrugs*. I can get a link to his ad if you're interested.. I believe he's 14.2-15.1 and he's (I think) around 21-24? He has a good 5-10 years left for using IMO. I'd buy him up myself if I had the money :p
Posted via Mobile Device

LetAGrlShowU 06-23-2011 02:51 PM

Thank you but PA is too far. I dont have my own trailer, so either it has to be qa local deal so i can use a friends, or at least at an adjoining state so trailering him home doesnt break the bank. I'm having no luck at all. :(

Iseul 06-23-2011 03:55 PM

That's fine, I'm sorry it's too far, lol. *I hope you have some better luck..I can look up some ads since I'm stuck in the house for another hour or so.(:

Here's an appy gelding, his ad isn't the best IMO, but most 4h horses are generally pretty good from what I've experienced.
Detail

A qh mare that's been a 4h horse and seems to be a good trail horse with nice neck-reining from reading the short ad.
Detail

This gelding seems nice as well. *I really wish these ads would have pictures though, lol.
Detail

This one wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he would make a fine walk/trot horse as said in his ad.
Dark sorrel/flaxen mane&tail /star/4 socks - Pumpkin

I do hope you find one though. :p good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

LetAGrlShowU 06-23-2011 07:22 PM

What do you all think of this guy?? Hes around the corner from me and I think he's so cute

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1694043 - Aidan