The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What color would you say this filly is?

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Travellersmom88 
#1 ·
She's a year old purebred Arabian. Her dam is bay (below)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

I believe her sire is also bay. (the filly is not mine)

She was born this color and hasn't changed any. The tail was always a mixture of black and white. There is no white flecking on her face, just on her sides and on her chest.

The owner wanted to register her with the AAHA as roan, but roan is not a recognized color in Arabians and consequently the AAHA registered her as bay.

Her coloring has always intrigued me.

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#3 ·
Roan isn't an acceptable color in Arabs, apparently. They tried to register her as roan and it was rejected. I had to look up rabicano and I think you might be right. I had not heard of that term before.

#15 ·
A friend's Arabian is colored like that. I said he was a rabicano and she said it was age...he is only 20 so I don't think so. Our barn owner raised him and raced him as a young fellow and now he trail rides. Sakkara has the side markings exactly like that and is a sorrel color with the streaky tail...he is pretty!

This little filly is a pretty girl!!

#19 ·
Sabino has a similar 'roaning' effect but all sabino horses have a white lower lip and jagged edges to their leg markings. This is classic rabicano patterning - which CAN come in conjunction with sabino, but a horse doesn't have to be sabino to be rabicano.

My anglo arab is a sabino, he has uneven/jagged socks on 3 legs and a star/stripe/snip conjoined, plus a white lip and belly splash. He is what would be considered minimally expressed regardless. And he has no roaning at all.

I had a rabicano. No white on the legs, small star on the face, minimally expressed rabicano with flecking through the flanks, body and neck and the odd white hair in his tail.

I have also photographed a medium-expression rabicano warmblood. He had significant visible roaning at the flanks and a marked skunk tail.

I firmly stand by my assessment of rabicano here.

Edit; search google images ;) rabicano horse versus sabino horse. They are very different, and rabicano matches this filly to the letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.