The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Want a strong leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/want-strong-leg-89540/)

MyBoyPuck 06-20-2011 04:37 PM

Want a strong leg?

I learned a new exercise (new to me anyway) for strengthening the upper leg, securing the lower leg, and finding your seat bones all in one exercise. It's simple but certainly not without pain. Here's what you do.

Hike your stirrups up so high that you need a leather hole punch a few holes above your last stirrup leather hole. Get on horse. Assume a half seat position. Your butt should almost touch the saddle but still clear it. Most of us lesser mortals will initially need to hold mane to keep this position. Walk around in that position until you can no longer hold it. When you can handle more torture, do it at the trot and then canter. With your stirrups hiked up, there is literally nothing keeping you up there but your lower leg, so it sure as heck better be secure. When you sit between sets, you'll notice that your thighs are so far above the saddle, you're sitting solely on your seat bones, which is great for balance.

I did this exercise once and a day later was posting 100% better using my thighs correctly instead of posting off my stirrups. Floppy dying fish legs are quickly leaving. Just wanted to share since everyone seems to want stronger legs, and this is a fantastic exercise. Have fun!

gigem88 06-20-2011 04:47 PM

Ha Ha Ha, that does NOT sound like fun!! But, I would like to see a photo!

MyBoyPuck 06-20-2011 04:49 PM

Deal! I'm not riding again until Wednesday, but will bring camera.

gigem88 06-20-2011 04:51 PM

Great, look forward to it. If I feel adventeruous (SP??) I might have to give it a whirl!

MHFoundation Quarters 06-20-2011 04:59 PM

I haven't had my butt in my english saddle in years....all I could think when reading that was OUCH! Thanks for the idea though, I am absolutely going to have one of my students try this, she is just learning and keeping her lower leg quiet is the hardest thing for her.

sarahver 06-20-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1071015)
Hike your stirrups up so high that you need a leather hole punch a few holes above your last stirrup leather hole. Get on horse. Assume a half seat position. Your butt should almost touch the saddle but still clear it. Most of us lesser mortals will initially need to hold mane to keep this position. Walk around in that position until you can no longer hold it. When you can handle more torture, do it at the trot and then canter. With your stirrups hiked up, there is literally nothing keeping you up there but your lower leg, so it sure as heck better be secure. When you sit between sets, you'll notice that your thighs are so far above the saddle, you're sitting solely on your seat bones, which is great for balance.

Welcome to the world of track work :lol:

For extra points repeat in a racing pad...

MIEventer 06-20-2011 05:29 PM

Yep Sarah^^^, Jim Wofford wrote an article about how to make your legs stronger. He suggested that Eventers start exercising TB's on the track - WHEW!!!! That would be a fun experience!

MyBoyPuck 06-20-2011 05:35 PM

I must admit, for the cantering part, I did assume the position on a grass track. Suffice to say, we kinda went along a little quicker than a canter! Very fun!!

MIEventer 06-20-2011 05:36 PM

That's cool MBP!

sarahver 06-20-2011 05:42 PM

It is a whole lotta fun! Best investment for trackwork: Gloves and goggles cos when the wind is whipping through your face it makes your eyes water and if it is cold your hands literally freeze and lock into position!

Great exercise MBP, you know you are doing something right when it feels like your muscles are burning from the inside ha ha.