The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Getting a mini! Excited but new...advice? (pictures) (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/getting-mini-excited-but-new-advice-89602/)

steedaunh32 06-21-2011 11:28 AM

Getting a mini! Excited but new...advice? (pictures)

5 Attachment(s)
So excited for this new adventure! Angel is an 8yo black tobiano. She is AMHR/AMHA registered, so I'd like to show her sometime in the future. She is currently weaning her foal so I won't be bringing her home until the end of August. I am brand new to minis, though and would love some tips/advice or just general "how-to's" in owning a mini. She will be boarded at a small facility that has several other minis and regular size horses. What do you guys do to keep them exercised/entertained? What is the best way to bond with them? I will be her primary keeper and we have no kids. Also, what do you feed? Thanks for any info, I'm a sponge!

What do you guys think of her?

crimson88 06-21-2011 11:37 AM

She's cute. What are you wanting to show in? Open or AMHA/AMHR breed shows? Also, what is some of her breeding? Im just curisous, lol.

steedaunh32 06-21-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson88 (Post 1071886)
She's cute. What are you wanting to show in? Open or AMHA/AMHR breed shows? Also, what is some of her breeding? Im just curisous, lol.

Probably open halter maybe? I won't be showing at least until next year. Her registered name is Baynes Wild Angel.

Dusty and Olivia 06-23-2011 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My minis are not show minis. they are just pets that live in my paddock. sometimes i let them in the house. the mini donkey is Echles and the mini pony is Fern. see more of them in my Albums!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 06-24-2011 01:47 PM

Angel is a pretty little thing! Congratulations!!!! :clap:
Is she close enough that you can visit her often until she comes home to you in August? I bet you are very excited.
I am sure if you've read around this section you now know that one is just the beginning? The saying is way too true!
"Minis are like potato chips, you can't have just one....."

Mine do really well at keeping each other entertained, but I do work them on a regular basis as well.
I do pretty much the same stuff as I do my saddle horses, except driving instead of riding.
I like to lunge them, as well as over jumps, do a lot of ground driving, and squeeze in as much driving as possible during good weather.
You can set up a little obstacle course as well, that's always fun and you can change it around, put in new things, to keep it interesting.
If you have any local parades those are fun too. My minis really enjoy all the affection and attention they get!

Enjoy her!

Travellersmom88 06-26-2011 09:45 PM

shes so cute! i love her patterns & mane/tail! with minis my advice is psyllium (spellcheck) i dont know how sandy it is where you live but the minis at my barn get sand colic so easily. they always pull through but its still worrying.

steedaunh32 06-27-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travellersmom88 (Post 1077487)
shes so cute! i love her patterns & mane/tail! with minis my advice is psyllium (spellcheck) i dont know how sandy it is where you live but the minis at my barn get sand colic so easily. they always pull through but its still worrying.

Yes I've heard this, thank you! The barn manager here has every horse on a 7 day/month rotation of SandClear (Psyllium).

Travellersmom88 06-27-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steedaunh32 (Post 1078606)
Yes I've heard this, thank you! The barn manager here has every horse on a 7 day/month rotation of SandClear (Psyllium).

good, they def need it! thats the only thing we have had problems with, with our minis. One has a locking patella but it doesnt act up much. :)

lilmamabergie 06-29-2011 03:16 AM

Beautiful! Congrats! Im a new mini owner too. Ive had my yearling for about 3 months now and will be getting a friend for her in a few weeks:-)
Weve got ground manners down and shes an absolute angel on the lead. We go for walks but mostly just play around in her paddock.
She didnt like being alone but is realy skidish around other horses. Weve just put her togethter with my larger horse and shes now the boss Lady and loves it. Still getting a friend her size though, think she will be much happier.

Shes a very picky eatter so I free feed, her weight was kinda low but since going together with my other horse shes eatting better. Her area was looking kinda crappy with over grown grass she wouldnt eat but now she munches down beside the other horse.
Good luck

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 06-29-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmamabergie (Post 1080599)
Beautiful! Congrats! Im a new mini owner too. Ive had my yearling for about 3 months now and will be getting a friend for her in a few weeks:-)
Weve got ground manners down and shes an absolute angel on the lead. We go for walks but mostly just play around in her paddock.
She didnt like being alone but is realy skidish around other horses. Weve just put her togethter with my larger horse and shes now the boss Lady and loves it. Still getting a friend her size though, think she will be much happier.

Shes a very picky eatter so I free feed, her weight was kinda low but since going together with my other horse shes eatting better. Her area was looking kinda crappy with over grown grass she wouldnt eat but now she munches down beside the other horse.
Good luck

I know this is off topic. (Sorry steedaunh32.)
But congrats on getting a second mini! :D So happy to hear about your current little one as well. I think she will be thrilled with some one else her own size, but glad she is doing better in with your other horse.
Please share pics of your newest addition when you can!