The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Where can I buy draft horse english tack? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/where-can-i-buy-draft-horse-89617/)

crimson88 06-21-2011 01:56 PM

Where can I buy draft horse english tack?

I am looking for english tack for my 17 hand Percheron x Tb mare. Does anyone know of a place that sells reasonably priced draft sized english bridles and girths?

Speed Racer 06-21-2011 02:23 PM

Draft Tack

http://drafthorsesaddle.com/index.php?cPath=11

I don't know what you mean by 'reasonably priced', though.

Since your horse is a draft, the tack is going to be more expensive.

crimson88 06-21-2011 05:21 PM

Well I found aonther place and there bridles where like $260 and up and cinchs were like $150 and I knew there had to be cheaper places then that, I didn't want to buy anything too fancey since I don't plan on showing her anytime, she defiantly is not a show horse (: I will check this website and see.

azarni 06-25-2011 01:31 AM

Duett Saddles: The Partnership of Horse & Rider
I got my english saddle from there. If you send them a tracing of your horse's back, they can pretty accurately figure out which size you need :) Quality is good but nothing amazing.

I got my bridle from Skyline Equine and it was super cheap ($40 Canadian). I'm pretty sure they just have a plain raised snaffle bridle in draft size. They are pretty stiff and thickly cut, so lots of cleaning and oiling helps soften them up. No complaints, though! It made me so happy to find a simple english bridle that would fit my girl. They also offer free shipping to Canada / Continental US on orders over $100.

Good luck!

WildAcreFarms 06-26-2011 04:40 AM

is there some reason they have to have "draft" tack?

I have a 17.2HH thoroughbred/ warmblooded cross that is HUGE and i just use everything normal for him. I did buy a racing bridal on ebay for 18.00us and my normal saddle fits him fine with the largest sized girth that Stubben makes. i never knew they needed special sized tack. everything i have is just large horse sized and everything i have bought fits him usually on the last hole or next to last but it fits :)

try thoroughbred bridals you can get some on ebay if you look around for 18. to 21.00 they are not the finest quality but they are usable thick leather needs saddle soaping but they work fine and look great IMO.

thee is someone who sells dressage saddles for draft horses for like 250. i know nothing about the quality tho.

good luck!

waresbear 06-26-2011 05:10 AM

I believe I have seen draft horse tack on ebay. Check ebay, they got everything.

DutchFeather 06-26-2011 09:20 AM

Believe it or not, WildAcreFarms, drafts and most draft crosses will not fit in a regular horse sized bridle, let alone a regular tree saddle. My belgians need a large draft sized bridle and an extra wide saddle. Once you get into draft horse tack, you then have to fit either small draft, draft, or large draft... Some warmbloods will fit in a regular size or an "oversize" but, an actual draft will almost always need a draft size. My 11 month old belgian colt already wears an average horse sized halter and is 15.3hh...

equiniphile 06-26-2011 11:42 AM

Not to make a whole nother thread, but if you come across a Western draft show saddle, preferably black with silver, shoot me a PM!

BlondieHorseChic 06-26-2011 12:05 PM

Try craigslist, they will usually have some decent stuff. Some people are selling tack they never have used. You could also try some of the online searches where people put up ads for horses. Some of them have ads for saddles too. (equine now, horseclicks etc.) unless you want brand new. Then i would imagine talk to your local tack provider/shop and see if they can help you out.

danastark 07-05-2011 06:32 PM

drafttack.com sells decent tack. I recently had to buy a 66" girth for my drafty! Sometimes you can find stuff at a consignment store.