The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tack storage question! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tack-storage-question-89648/)

Lonannuniel 06-21-2011 07:40 PM

Tack storage question!

Hey guys! I am in the process of getting everything ready for my horse to come home ( 1 week to go! ) and I am trying to organize a tack room for my stuff. We have nice room in the old dairy barn, but it tends to flood in the spring, and it's a rather moist environment. assuming I keep everything off the floor, is it safe to keep saddles, bridles, etc. in that sort of area?

Thanks!

Eliz 06-21-2011 11:31 PM

If it is moist I wouldn't keep leather tack in there.. it will mildew and other less-than-appealing things. Other tack would be fine, I'm sure :)

My barn has cement floors and good airflow but I still bring my saddle inside.

:)

Oooh and you must be excited about having your horsey at home! I love having mine here with me!

Cheers!

gigem88 06-22-2011 09:07 AM

My hubby just built me a tack room and he installed a small AC window unit, since it's humid and wet down here (except for this year!). I keep it running just enough to keep the moisture out and my leather saddles are doing fine.

livestoride 06-22-2011 10:05 AM

Moisture and leather don't work very well together. Even leather bridles can get ruined if it is wet enough. If you keep everything off of the floor and use plastic sealable crates (they make nice ones on wheels) your tack should be fine. If you need to keep your lether in there too I would buy a de-humidifier and have that run all the time. Just make sure to check it and empty the canister so it keep running. That should help keep the moisture out.

Lonannuniel 06-22-2011 10:44 AM

thanks for the replies! I'll have to look into getting a tack trunk ( or large Tupperware container more likely ). I'll also have to look at dehumidifiers, but with the flooding, I would be a bit worried about having anything electrical on the floor or plugged in though. But anyways, It's definitely worth exploring further!

Thanks!